2022 Mazda CX9 Signature - Review by Mark Fulmer
A Family Fun-To-Drive Transport with Style and Safety
Executive Producer, Editor
THE AUTO CHANNEL
The CX-9 is the Mazda's largest SUV with with good marks for roominess, stylish interior, tech, and safety. This year all wheel drive comes standard, which helps with ever increasing weather intensity.
The top-of-the-range Signature trim adds a titanium happy smiling grille design with LED accents, 20-inch wheels, quilted Nappa leather with contrast piping, second-row captain's chairs, and Santos Rosewood interior trim.
A turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder with 250 horsepower turning a six-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift and Sport modes. The handling is all Mazda responsive and tackles twisty roads with ease. Fuel economy is 20 in town and 26 on the highway.
The front seats are quite comfortable and ergonomic with good visibility.
Front seats specs:
SHOULDER ROOM 57.9
HIP ROOM 56.7 LEGROOM 41.0
The second row seats were praised by passengers for comfort and ease of access.
2nd row specs
SHOULDER ROOM 58.1
HIP ROOM 56.7
The third row is reserved for young folks.
Starry-eyed sky watchers will appreciate the large moonroof.
Audio enthusiasts will perk up to the CX-9 infotainment capabilities.
Bose® Centerpoint® 2 Surround Sound System with AudioPilot®
2 and 12 speakers Bluetooth®
25 hands-free phone and audio streaming capability
USB Input, 2 front, 2 rear and 2 3rd-row
Steering wheel-mounted audio, phone and cruise controls
integration6 Android Auto&trade
integration6 Mazda Navigation System SiriusXM®
Satellite Radio with 3-month trial subscription40 SiriusXM®
3-year Traffic and Travel Link subscription40 includes current information for:
- Sports scores
- Fuel prices
- Nearby parking or parking by destination Wireless phone charger
Family cars need to be safe, and the CX9 received an overall five-star safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) named it a Top Safety Pick+.
- Anti-lock Brake System with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution & Brake Assist
- Dynamic Stability Control with Traction Control System and Trailer Stability Assist
- Roll Stability Control
- Hill Launch Assist
- Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Lane-keep Assist
- Lane Departure Warning System
- Advanced Smart City Brake Support with Pedestrian Detection
- Smart Brake Support with Collision Warning
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- LATCH 2nd-row seat child safety seat anchors & upper tether anchors
- Child safety rear door locks
- 360º View Monitor
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Driver Attention Alert
- Smart City Brake Support