Texas Leads the Nation in Dangerous, Unrepaired Recalled Airbags June is Airbag Recall Repair Month in Texas
Data shows the issue disproportionately impacting Latino and lower-income communities
Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram dealers urge drivers to check for dangerous safety recalls & are even giving away $50 prepaid Mastercards if airbag repairs are made
DALLAS, May 31, 2022 -- More than 1.24 million vehicles in Texas – across all makes and models – have unrepaired, recalled airbags. When exposed over time to heat and humidity, these recalled airbags can transform from life-saving devices to life-threatening ones – in a crash, they could rupture and cause injury or death.
To help keep drivers safe heading into the summer heat, Check To Protect – in partnership with local Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram dealers – has designated June as Airbag Recall Repair Month in Texas. This statewide campaign aims to encourage Texas drivers of all vehicles to make safety a priority by taking immediate action to prevent serious injury and death in the Lone Star State. It's critical that every Texas driver check their vehicle as hot summer weather can increase the risk associated with defective recalled airbags.
In Texas, this issue disproportionately impacts communities with a higher concentration of Latino, English as a second language or low-income vehicle owners. Research shows these communities are less likely to take action to get severe recalls, like the Takata airbag, fixed. This inaction could be due to the communities' low level of recall awareness, lack of an existing relationship with dealers or limited availability for recall repairs due to work or family obligations. Moreover, drivers of older or used vehicles are harder to reach by conventional recall outreach measures and are less likely to know the recall status of their vehicles.
That's why Check to Protect is reminding Texas drivers that it is fast, free and easy to check for airbag recalls and get them repaired. Here's what drivers need to know:
- Check for Recalls:
- Visit CheckToProtect.org and enter a license plate number or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
- A VIN is a 17-character ID found on your driver's side dashboard, the driver's side door and most vehicle registration or insurance documents.
- Schedule a FREE repair appointment at a local dealership.
- If you have an airbag recall, or any other safety recalls, follow the link to find your closest authorized dealership and schedule your repair. Recall repairs are always free at authorized dealerships, regardless of whether you're the registered owner of the affected vehicle.
- Repairs can take as little as 30 minutes.
- Many dealers provide complimentary transportation while vehicles are being repaired, and others have mobile repair service that bring the airbag repair service to a driver's home.
- Texans whose Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Ram vehicle has an unrepaired airbag recall are eligible for a $50 prepaid Mastercard if they get their airbag repaired during Airbag Recall Repair Month (June 1 – June 30).
Throughout the state, Check To Protect, dealers and automakers are getting the word out to vehicle owners through mailers, advertising, vehicle and door-to-door canvassing and other outreach. These messages are notifying drivers of open airbag recalls (or encouraging them to check at www.CheckToProtect.org) and urging them to protect themselves and their loved ones by getting these dangerous airbags replaced immediately.
Airbag Recall Repair Month is an effort by Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram as part of the Check To Protect program. Check To Protect was founded by the National Safety Council and Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram in 2017. Today, program partners include vehicle safety advocates as well as Ford, General Motors, Toyota, and Volvo. Check To Protect welcomes any automaker or consumer and vehicle safety organization to join the effort to raise awareness for vehicle safety recalls.
SOURCE Check To Protect