Volvo Trucks Ready to Electrify Large Part of Goods Transports
With the sales start this year of three new heavy-duty all-electric models, Volvo Trucks believes the time is right for a rapid upswing in electrification of heavy road transport. This positive outlook is based on the ability of Volvo’s electric trucks to meet a broad variety of transport needs. In the EU for example, almost half of all truck transports could be electrified in the near future.
STOCKHOLM - April 20, 2021: Large national and international transport buyers are showing strong interest in electric vehicles. This is being driven by their own ambitious climate goals, as well as consumers demand for decarbonisation and cleaner transports.
Adding three more heavy duty trucks to the electric line-up
With the sales start of the new electric Volvo FH and Volvo FM models, electrified transport is now possible not only for urban areas but also for regional traffic between cities. In addition, the new electric Volvo FMX model is creating new ways to make construction transport operations both quieter and cleaner.
Can cover nearly half of EU transport needs
With the addition of the new products with higher load capacities, more powerful drivelines and range of up to 300 km, Volvo Trucks’ electric portfolio could cover around 45% of all goods transported in Europe today.* This makes it possible to make an important contribution to lower the climate impact from road freights, which according to official statistics account for about 6% of total CO2 emissions in the EU.
Broad offering of electric solutions
In addition to the electric vehicles, Volvo Trucks’ electrification program includes a complete eco-system with numerous service, maintenance and financing solutions, as well as other options that can help facilitate an easier and faster transition to electrified transport. The holistic setup will help customers stay productive and in control of their new electric transport fleet.
Hydrogen fuel cell electric trucks coming next
Looking further ahead, even long-distance heavy transports will be able to be done with electric vehicles. To meet the challenging demands for both high load capacity and a much longer range, Volvo Trucks plans to use hydrogen fuel cells to generate the electricity.
Volvo Trucks’ electric vehicle offering for Europe
- Volvo FH Electric, for regional and intercity transport.
- Volvo FM Electric, a versatile truck for heavy local transports and regional distribution.
- Volvo FMX Electric, for cleaner and quieter construction transport.
- Volvo FE Electric, for local and city distribution, waste transport.
- Volvo FL Electric, for local and city distribution.
The program also includes the Volvo VNR Electric for the North American market.
- Volvo FH, FM and FMX Electric: Range up to 300 km. Continuous power 490 kW. Max torque 2400 Nm. Battery capacity up to 540 kWh. Gross combination weight (GCW) up to 44 tons.
- Volvo FE Electric: Range up to 200 km. Continuous power 330 kW. Max torque up to 850 Nm. Battery capacity up to 264 kWh. Gross combination weight (GCW) 27 tons.
- Volvo FL Electric: Range up to 300 km. Continuous power 165 kW. Max torque up to 425 Nm. Battery capacity up to 396 kWh. Gross combination weight (GCW) 16 tons.
*According to Eurostat statistics “Road Freight Transport by distance” (2018), 45% of all goods transported on road in Europe travelled a distance of less than 300 km.