Official 2022 BMW ALPINA B8 Gran Coupé Preview
The 2022 BMW ALPINA B8 Gran Coupé arrives in U.S. dealers in Late Spring 2021 and will have an MSRP of $139,900 plus $995 Destination.
- Power to spare: The 4.4-liter V8 engine with bi-turbo charging produces an impressive 612 hp. The maximum torque of 590 lb.-ft is available from just 2,000 rpm for power delivery at all times.
- Explosive driving performance: From a standing start, the BMW ALPINA B8 accelerates to 60 mph in 3.3 seconds and reaches ¼ mile in just 11.5 seconds. The maximum speed is 201 mph.
- Tailored V8 sound: The specially developed ALPINA sport exhaust system is a stainless-steel wonder. Providing both visual and auditory delight, it is designed to reduce backpressure, and features the bold, natural sound of a powerful V8 engine. The driver can influence the sound by switching between COMFORT and SPORT mode, which controls the active exhaust flaps.
- Fascinating dynamics, superior driving experience: The BMW ALPINA B8’s chassis and suspension set-up is harmoniously balanced, combining superior long-distance travel comfort with precise handling characteristics. The adaptive dampers provide for a wide range of driving experiences, ranging from COMFORT+ to SPORT+.
- Precision design: The B8 Gran Coupé’s appearance is distinguished by elegant lines that masterfully emphasize the vehicle’s flowing silhouette. The athletic character is further emphasized by the ALPINA aerodynamic components. The ALPINA CLASSIC 21-inch forged wheels with their minimalistic 20 spoke design are an unmistakable, exclusive ALPINA identifier.
- Look, touch, and feel: The interior design reflects the luxurious comfort of the BMW ALPINA B8 in every detail. High-quality materials, an extensive range of standard equipment and exclusive ALPINA details contribute to an exquisite interior.
4.4-LITER V8 ENGINE WITH BITURBO CHARGING
The eight-cylinder engine of the BMW ALPINA B8 is characterized by a dynamic and smooth power delivery and offers excellent responsiveness over the entire rpm range.
The 4.4-liter V8 engine with bi-turbo charging achieves a maximum power output of 612 hp. The maximum torque of 590 lb.-ft is available from just 2,000 rpm and maintained up to 5,000 rpm. The superior power delivery of the engine translates directly into stunning performance: from a standing start, the BMW ALPINA B8 accelerates to 60 mph in 3.3 seconds. It completes the ¼ mile sprint in just 11.5 seconds. The maximum speed is 201 mph.
The engine’s power characteristics and superb throttle response are the result of optimized turbocharging and cooling systems, not to mention ALPINA’s instantly recognizable throttle harmony. Two twin-scroll turbochargers facilitate the near-instantaneous conversion of exhaust gas energy into boost pressure, even at low engine speeds for early maximum torque. The ALPINA cooling system ensures thermal stability and optimum efficiency of the high-performance engine, even under continuous high loads. It consists of three external coolant coolers, an enlarged transmission oil cooler and a low-temperature cooling system (air/water/air) with ALPINA’s specific intercoolers with 50 percent more cooling surface than the units found in the BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe. The optimized cross section of the coolant feed enables maximum throughput.
The ALPINA sport exhaust system is notable for its nuanced, harmonious V8 soundtrack: sophisticated and restrained in COMFORT mode or emotional and sonorous in SPORT mode. The two twin tailpipes, finished in polished stainless steel, are elegantly integrated in the rear apron in typical ALPINA fashion.
power transmission WITHOUT COMPROMISE:
8-SPEED SPORT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
The 8-Speed Sport Automatic Transmission with ALPINA SWITCH-TRONIC converts the high engine output into superb driving performance. The latest 8HP76 transmission generation has undergone substantial development work in cooperation with the transmission specialists at ZF. Depending on the selected drive mode, shift dynamics have been raised to a whole new level without compromising on the smooth shift comfort that ALPINA is renowned for.
A high-performance hydrodynamic torque converter with reinforced internals is used to reliably transmit the engine’s high torque output. An aluminum transmission oil sump ensures the system is optimally cooled. The advanced turbine torsional damper absorbs drivetrain vibrations noticeably enhancing driving comfort.
Specific transmission shift strategies are available for different driving situations. In SPORT mode, shift points are optimized for driving performance and gear shifts are noticeably dynamic. The COMFORT mode allows for relaxed cruising at low engine rpms even when travelling at highway speeds but remains responsive thanks to the instant availability of 590 lb.-ft of torque. MANUAL mode offers super-fast shifts taking mere milliseconds.
PRECISION DYNAMICS AND COMFORT:
THE ALPINA SPORT SUSPENSION
Countless test miles were completed on Europe’s most demanding test tracks during the development of the BMW ALPINA B8’s sport suspension system. The result is a refined suspension and chassis set-up that combines first-class long-distance ride comfort with precise handling characteristics. The BMW ALPINA B8 impresses in a myriad of driving situations with its harmonious, balanced chassis and a high sense of security.
Front axle struts with hydro mounts enhance the ride comfort and work in combination with Eibach springs to guarantee balanced suspension characteristics. Stiffer suspension strut support mounts provide greater vehicle stability during dynamic lane changes, for example. Reinforced sway bars on the front axle and stiffer lower wishbone mounts result in excellent lateral dynamic properties.
The Integral Active Steering system offers direct steering response with exceptional feedback and improves overall agility. The Active Kinematics Control System from ZF enables the wheels of the rear axle to pivot a maximum of 2.3° left or right. At low speeds, the rear axle steers opposed to the front axle for increased agility and dynamic handling. Conversely, at higher speeds the rear axle steers “with” (congruent to) the front axle for maximum directional stability. The behavior of the entire system, as with all driving systems on board the B8, has been fine-tuned precisely by ALPINA.
The intelligent BMW xDrive all-wheel drive system ensures an equally dynamic and effortless transmission of power on to the road. A rear axle limited-slip differential lets the BMW ALPINA B8 tap into its full dynamic capabilities, especially when cornering: a traction-dependent torque distribution increases vehicle stability when entering the corner and enables a more agile vehicle behavior when exiting the corner.
WHEELS & TIRES
The ultra-high-performance tires specially developed for the BMW ALPINA B8, are available in sizes 245/35ZR21 on the front axle and 285/3 ZR21 on the rear axle. In cooperation with the tire experts at Pirelli, the tires are specially adapted to the vehicle concept of the BMW ALPINA B8. The Pirelli Noise Cancelling System fitted to the front tires improves acoustic comfort.
The 21" wheels feature the brand’s classic design of 20 minimalistic spokes. A lockable wheel hub cover with the ALPINA emblem underlines the flawless appearance of these beautifully designed, weight-optimized forged wheels. The ALPINA CLASSIC 20" forged wheel is also available for winter and all-season** tires in a 20 spoke design without a wheel hub cover.
The ALPINA brake system can easily be recognized by its blue brake calipers bearing a white ALPINA lettering. Four-piston fixed brake calipers from Brembo with 15.6" diameter brake discs on the front axle and floating brake calipers with 15.7" diameter brake discs on the rear axle provide high safety reserves and thermodynamic stability, even under high loads.
** Top speed in combination with all-season tires: 168 mph.
FLOWING LINES, MODERN ROOM COMFORT:
DESIGN & EQUIPMENT
The B8 Gran Coupé is striking in appearance, with an elegant, flowing silhouette. The aerodynamically optimized ALPINA exterior components endow the BMW ALPINA B8 with exclusive aesthetics.
The large air intakes on the ALPINA front apron ensure that the high-performance engine is supplied with sufficient cooling air flow. The ALPINA rear apron with a black diffuser insert takes up the precise contours of the body. The Coupé’s sweeping silhouette is extended by a subtle ALPINA rear spoiler lip.
The ALPINA Blue Metallic and ALPINA Green Metallic paint finishes are exclusively reserved for BMW ALPINA automobiles and add an elegant and exquisite touch also to the BMW ALPINA B8. There is also a wide variety of BMW and BMW Individual paint finishes available to choose from.
The interior epitomizes the prestigious standard of luxury of the current BMW 8 Series model generation: The Gran Coupé offers exceptional interior comfort and impresses with its combination of the finest craftsmanship and premium materials. Elegant ALPINA details, such as illuminated ALPINA door sills or the iDrive controller in crystal glass with a lasered ALPINA logo, as well as the standard ALPINA interior trim in Walnut Anthracite high-gloss, set exclusive accents. Each ALPINA steering wheel is intricately hand-finished with natural, untreated LAVALINA leather – for an incomparable tactile experience on every journey.
The extensive standard equipment of the BMW ALPINA B8 reflects the high ALPINA standards of comfort. The standard equipment includes multi-functional seats, ventilated front seats, seat and steering wheel heating, BMW Individual extended Merino leather upholstery as well as a leather-covered instrument panel and an Anthracite Alcantara Headliner. The standard panoramic glass sunroof contributes to a light and airy atmosphere in the interior. The standard Harman Kardon surround sound system offers a first-class sound experience. The standard Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight offer super high intensity and substantially better performance than conventional light sources, and their detailed technical design represents an innovation to relish. Leading BMW navigation, communication, infotainment and driver assistance systems are also included as standard in the BMW ALPINA B8. The full-color digital instrument display offers two ALPINA tachometer designs which change between COMFORT and SPORT mode.
- Remote engine start
- Sport limited-slip rear differential
- 8-speed Sport automatic transmission
- 21-inch ALPINA Classic wheels with high-performance non-runflat tires.
- xDrive all-wheel drive
- Integral Active steering
- Adaptive Sport suspension
- Active-roll stabilization
- Alarm system
- Power tailgate
- Comfort access keyless entry
- Soft-close automatic doors
- Rear-view camera
- Panoramic sunroof
- Power rear window and rear side window shades
- Front heated and ventilated, multi-function seats
- Heated rear seats
- Rear 40/20/40 split folding seat
- Heated front armrests and steering wheel
- Glass controls
- 4-zone automatic climate control
- Instrument panel finished in Nappa leather
- Ambient interior lighting
- Anthracite alcantara headliner
- Icon Adaptive LED headlights with Laserlight
- Shadowline exterior trim
- Live Cockpit Professional with seventh generation iDrive system, Navigation, 12.3-inch Instrument Cluster, and 10.25-inch Center Display
- Full-color Head-Up Display
- SiriusXM with 360L plus 1-year All-Access subscription
- Harman Kardon surround sound system with 16 speakers and 464-watt amplifier
- Wireless charging for compatible mobile devices
- WiFi hotspot with complementary 3-month or 3-GB trial
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility
- Enhanced USB and Bluetooth
- Gesture Control
- Connected Package Professional
- Real-time traffic information
- On-street parking information
- Hazard Preview
- Stolen Vehicle recovery
- Remote door unlock
- Concierge Services
- Intelligent Personal Assistant
- Active Guard
- Lane departure warning
- Frontal collision warning
- Automatic city collision mitigation with braking
- Active Protection
- Automatic front seat-belt tensioning
- Automatic closing of windows and moonroof
- Fatigue and focus alert
- Post-crash braking
options and packages
- Carbon roof
- 20-inch ALPINA Classic wheels with all-season tires and reduced top speed limit.
- Bowers & Wilkins Diamond surround sound system
- Alcantara headliner in upholstery color
- Chrome line exterior
- Interior trim
- Fineline Copper Wood Trim
- Ash Grain Grey-Metallic Wood Trim
- Aluminum Dark Trace Interior Trim
- Carbon Fiber trim
- Individual Piano Black Finish trim
- Ash Black Silver Wood Trim
- Driving Assistance Package
- Lane departure warning
- Pedestrian and frontal collision warning with city collision mitigation
- Blind spot detection
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Speed limit assist
- Driving Assistance Professional Package
- Extended traffic jam assistant for limited access highways
- Active cruise control with stop & go.
- Active lane keeping assistant with side collision avoidance
- Evasion aid
- Front and rear cross-traffic alert
- Active lane change assist
- Emergency stop assistant
Number of Doors
Width including mirrors
Shoulder width front
Shoulder room 2nd row
Legroom 2nd row
Headroom 2nd row
Fuel Tank capacity
Gross vehicle weight
Valves per cylinder
Bore x Stroke
89.0 x 88.3
612 @ 5,500 – 6,500 rpm
590 @ 2,000 – 5,000 rpm
Engine oil capacity
Output per liter
Gear ratios 1st gear
Final drive ratio
Tires, standard front
Tires, standard rear
Tires, optional front
245/40ZR20 99Y A/S
Tires, optional rear
275/35ZR20 102Y A/S
Wheels, standard front / rear
8.5 x 21 / 10.0 x 21
Wheels, optional front / rear
8.5 x 20 / 10.0 x 20
EPA Fuel Economy, city / hwy
About ALPINA and BMW in North America
ALPINA Automobiles, privately owned and operated since 1965, has enjoyed a decades-long technical partnership with BMW AG, providing development and testing services to the Munich-based automaker. ALPINA is recognized by the German Ministry of Transport as an independent automobile manufacturer. Selected BMW ALPINA automobiles (currently the BMW ALPINA B7 Sedan, XB7 Sports Activity Vehicle, and soon the B8 Gran Coupe) are sold and serviced by the existing BMW dealer networks in the United States and Canada. These models are covered by BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty and applicable maintenance programs.
BMW Group in America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars; Designworks, a strategic design consultancy based in California; technology offices in Silicon Valley and Chicago, and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is the BMW Group global center of competence for BMW X models and manufactures the X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 Sports Activity Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 349 BMW passenger car and BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 143 BMW motorcycle retailers, 117 MINI passenger car dealers, and 38 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group’s sales headquarters for North America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.