BMW iX Worldwide Reveal and Product Highlights +VIDEO
Fifth-generation BMW eDrive technology delivers outstanding efficiency
and long range.
and long range.
MUNICH - November 12, 2020: The BMW iX will go into production at BMW's Dingolfing Plant beginning the second half of 2021 as the BMW Group’s new technology flagship. It brings together the company’s latest developments in the strategic innovation fields of Design, Automated Driving, Connectivity, Electrification and Services to redefine BMW's successful Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) concept.
• Powerful proportions, with the exterior length and width of the BMW X5, the height of the BMW X6 and the wheel dimensions of the BMW X7. Luxurious, relaxing feeling of space with a lounge-like ambience for passengers in the five seats.
• Design and technology form an overall package that smoothes the way into a new age of individual mobility. Myriad innovations underline the role of the BMW i brand as a “workshop for the future” at the BMW Group. Production to get underway in the second half of 2021 at BMW Plant Dingolfing: market launch from the end of 2021.
• The fifth generation of BMW eDrive technology provides standout efficiency. Two electric motors with maximum output of more than 370 kW/500 hp power the BMW iX from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in under 5.0 seconds. Combined electric power consumption of less than 21 kWh per 100 kilometers (62 miles) in the WLTP test cycle. High-voltage battery with gross energy content of more than 100 kWh ensures a range of over 600 kilometers in the WLTP cycle. That equates to more than 300 miles according to the EPA’s FTP-75 test procedure. (All figures are predicted values based on the car’s current stage of development.)
• Optimized performance over long distances thanks to a high range and state-of-the-art charging technology. DC fast charging at up to 200 kW allows the battery to be charged from 10 to 80 per cent of its full capacity in 40 minutes. Ten-minute fast charge adds 120 kilometers (75 miles) to the car’s range.
• All-encompassing sustainability concept: electric motor manufactured without using raw materials known as rare earths, high-voltage battery with exceptionally high recycling rate. The power used to produce the battery cells, the high-voltage battery and the vehicle as a whole comes exclusively from renewable sources. High proportion of recycled and natural materials used for the exterior and interior, including FSCcertified wood and leather tanned with olive leaf extracts.
• New technology toolkit enables further advances in the areas of automated driving and digital services. Extremely high level of computing power for data processing, extremely powerful sensors, 5G capability provides the basis for optimised automated driving and parking functions.
• Reduced use of character lines and generously shaped surfaces create an imposing body design. Precisely worked details accentuate the modern premium characteristics and efficiency of the BMW iX. The doors have frameless windows; the tailgate has no separation joints and extends across the whole of the rear.
• Eye-catching, vertical and almost enclosed BMW kidney grille serves as an intelligence panel with integrated sensors, camera and radar technology for advanced driver assistance systems.
• Slimmest headlights ever featured on a BMW Group model. Full-LED headlights fitted as standard, BMW Laserlight with matrix function for high beam available as an option. LED rear lights are also extremely slim and have a distinctive light design.
• Shy tech for the exterior: filler neck for the windscreen washer fluid below the BMW logo on the bonnet, flush-fitted door openers activated at the touch of a button, sensors integrated out of view, rear-view camera with cleaning system integrated into the BMW badge on the tailgate.
• Accents in BMW i Blue accentuate the sustainable character of the BMW iX. Sport package with dynamically designed exterior features and BMW Individual Exterior Line Titanium Bronze available as an option.
• Effective increase in efficiency and range courtesy of intelligent lightweight design and optimised aerodynamics. Weight savings thanks to aluminium spaceframe construction with Carbon Cage. Targeted aerodynamics measures at the front and rear, in the underfloor section and for the wheels reduce drag for an outstanding Cd figure of 0.25. Air Performance Wheels in 21- and 22-inch formats on the options list.
• Totally newly developed architecture for the interior. Vehicle as a whole designed from the inside out. Luxurious feeling of wellbeing created by generous levels of space, a high-quality materials mix, a slim instrument panel, newly developed seats with integral head restraints and an exceptionally large panoramic glass roof. Omission of the centre tunnel creates extra legroom and space for storage compartments, plus a centre console crafted to look like a high-quality piece of furniture.
• Reduced design language and clear, uncomplicated functionality put the needs and wellbeing of the car’s occupants at centre stage. BMW Curved Display spans a fully digital screen grouping made up of 12.3-inch Information Display and 14.9-inch Control Display with single-piece, frameless glass surface. Standard 2.5-zone automatic climate control with new and extremely intuitive operation.
• Shy tech for the interior: speakers integrated out of sight, intricately styled air vents, heated surfaces, BMW Head-Up Display’s projector integrated seamlessly and almost out of sight into the surface of the instrument panel.
• Sumptuously designed centre console features an innovative new rocker switch for gear selection, a Touch Controller and an illuminated glasseffect control surface subdivided by feeler bars and with active haptic input for controlling vehicle functions. Optional Clear & Bold specification includes surfaces in open-pore wood and controls with a polished crystal finish.
• BMW iX is the BMW Group’s first series-produced vehicle with a hexagonal steering wheel. Track-inspired contour improves ease of access and gives the driver a better view of the Information Display. Newly designed multifunction buttons; optional steering wheel heating now with three-stage control.
• Panoramic glass roof with electrochromic shading available as an option. Largest glass surface ever fitted in a model from the BMW Group is a single-piece design and spans the entire interior without any cross struts to break it up.
• Optional Bowers & Wilkins Surround Sound System takes the in-car audio experience into a new dimension. Concert hall ambience created by fully active sound system, audio control that responds to dynamic performance, and five individually selectable sound modes. 30 speakers in total, eight of which are integrated into the head restraints of the front and rear seats. Innovative 4D Audio function generated using magnetically controlled ?shakers’ in the front seats.
• All figures relating to drive system output, charging output, performance, energy consumption, emissions and operating range are provisional.
• The fuel consumption, CO2 emissions, electric power consumption and operating range figures are determined according to the European Regulation (EC) 715/2007 in the version applicable. The figures refer to a vehicle with basic configuration in Germany. The range shown considers the different sizes of the selected wheels/tires and the selected items of optional equipment, and may vary during configuration.
• The values shown are based on the new WLTP test cycle. With respect to these vehicles, for vehicle-related taxes or other duties based (at least inter alia) on CO2 emissions, the CO2 values may differ from the values stated here (depending on national legislation).
Further information on official fuel consumption figures and specific CO2 emission values of new passenger cars is included in the following guideline: 'Leitfaden über den Kraftstoffverbrauch, die CO2-Emissionen und den Stromverbrauch neuer Personenkraftwagen' (Guide to the fuel economy, CO2 emissions and electric power consumption of new passenger cars), which can be obtained free of charge from all dealerships, from Deutsche Automobil Treuhand GmbH (DAT), Hellmuth-Hirth-Str. 1, 73760 Ostfildern-Scharnhausen and at https://www.dat.de/co2