BMW of North America Reports Q3 2020 Sales Results.
- Consumer Demand for BMW Brand Vehicles Outpaces Projections.
- High-Percentage of New Vehicles Arriving Pre-Sold to Customers.
- Sales Momentum Built Throughout the Quarter Ending with a Record September.
Woodcliff Lake, NJ – October 1, 2020… BMW of North America announced today Q3 2020 sales results for the BMW and MINI brands in the U.S. For the quarter ending September 30, 2020, BMW brand sales totaled 69,570 vehicles, a decrease of 16.2% vs the 83,003 vehicles sold in the same time period last year.* MINI brand sales totaled 9,064 vehicles in Q3, a decrease of 11.9% vs the 10,292 vehicles sold in the same time period last year.*
As the U.S. continues to recover during the ongoing global pandemic, the BMW Group sales network is once again fully open, and plants in Europe and the U.S. have returned to capacity. Consumer demand for BMW vehicles has also returned faster, and at a higher level, than anticipated. As a result, sales momentum built through the quarter with a strong finish, and record month in September.
“We are pleased that demand for BMW vehicles remains strong, and proud of our dealer network for the way they have adapted to this situation by accepting a higher number of advanced orders,” said Bernhard Kuhnt, president and CEO, BMW of North America. “As a result, the percentage of vehicles arriving pre-sold to customers is twice as high as prior to the pandemic, and recovery rates outperformed our projections. For these reasons, we remain cautiously optimistic as we enter the fourth quarter.”
Table 1: New Vehicle Sales BMW of North America, LLC, Q3 2020
BMW passenger cars
BMW light trucks
BMW Pre-Owned Vehicles
- BMW Certified Pre-Owned sold 28,520 vehicles during the third quarter of 2020, a decrease of 3.5% from the same quarter a year ago.
- Total BMW Pre-Owned sold 57,164 vehicles during the third quarter of 2020, a decrease of 9.2% from the same quarter a year ago.
MINI Pre-Owned Vehicles
- MINI Certified Pre-Owned sold 2,696 vehicles during the third quarter of 2020, a decrease of 18.5% from the same quarter a year ago.
- Total MINI Pre-Owned sold 6,276 vehicles during the third quarter of 2020, a decrease of 18.5% from the same quarter a year ago.
BMW Total Pre-Owned
MINI Total Pre-Owned
# # #
* In connection with a review of its sales and related reporting practices, BMW Group revised certain retail vehicle delivery data retrospectively for the period from 2015 through 2019 in its six most significant markets, including the United States. Additional information can be found in the March 12th press release announcing BMW Group’s financial results for 2019 and in BMW Group’s 2019 Annual Report.
# # #
BMW Group In America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars; Designworks, a strategic design consultancy based in California; technology offices in Silicon Valley and Chicago, and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is the BMW Group global center of competence for BMW X models and manufactures the X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 Sports Activity Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 348 BMW passenger car and BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 146 BMW motorcycle retailers, 117 MINI passenger car dealers, and 38 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group’s sales headquarters for North America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.