Mercedes-Benz and Mercedes-AMG Top ‘10’ New Technologies Introduced for the 2020 Model Year
Mercedes-Benz has established a long tradition of introducing game-changing innovations that have continued to shape mobility. This pioneering spirit has existed since the first patent was filed for the Benz Patent Motorwagen over 133 years ago in 1886, and with each new model year or vehicle generation Mercedes-Benz has continuously raised the bar for design, performance and technology to set new benchmarks in the industry. For the 2020 model year, here are the top 10 innovative new technologies that Mercedes-Benz has introduced.
- MBUX with Interior Assistant – Building upon the introduction of Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) from MY19, MBUX Interior Assistant allows intuitive, natural operation of different comfort and MBUX functions through movement recognition. A camera in the overhead console registers movements of the driver's and front passenger's hands and arms. When a hand approaches the touchscreen or the Touchpad on the center console, the media display changes and individual elements are highlighted. Additionally, there are functions that can be controlled by simple hand gestures. For example, the reading lamp can be switched on and off by extending a hand towards the rearview mirror. The driver and front passenger can both program a personal, favorite function which is initiated using a horizontally outstretched index and middle finger
- E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL – Developed in-house by Mercedes-Benz, E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL is a fully networked hydropneumatic, active suspension on a 48-volt platform, for the first time in combination with a newly-developed air suspension. This is the only system in the market where the spring and damping forces can be individually controlled at each wheel. This means that it not only significantly counteracts body roll, but also pitch and squat.
- Carwash Function – A new standard function for the next generation GLS, when the Carwash Function is selected the vehicle automatically –
- Adjusts the suspension to the highest position.
- Folds in the exterior mirrors.
- Closes the side windows and the sliding sunroof.
- Suppresses the rain sensor information so that the windshield wipers remain switched off in the carwash.
- Switches the climate control to air-recirculation mode and, after eight seconds, activates the 360° camera's front image to assist the driver when driving into the carwash.
- Deactivates these settings automatically when the driver drives out of the carwash and accelerates to a speed above 12 mph.
- Fully-variable 4MATIC – First premiering in the MY20 GLE, Mercedes- Benz has further developed the highly successful 4MATIC system with the introduction of fully variable all-wheel. This sophisticated system can vary torque distribution between the front and rear axle from 0-100%, depending on the selected driving mode, to further improve handling and traction in any situation.
- V8 Engine with 48-Volt System – For MY20 Mercedes-Benz added an electrified V8 to the GLE and GLS model ranges with the new GLE 580 and the GLS 580. At the heart of this sophisticated engine is the powerful, electrified V8 biturbo gasoline engine with a 48-volt on-board electrical system and integrated starter generator. This advanced powerplant offers an impressive output of 483 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque. In addition, it is capable of producing an extra 184 lb-ft of torque and 21 horsepower through EQ Boost over short periods. The integrated starter generator (ISG) is responsible for hybrid functions such as EQ Boost and energy recuperation, resulting in fuel savings previously reserved for high-voltage hybrid technology. The innovative ISG eliminates the need for a belt drive for ancillary components at the front of the engine, which reduces its overall length.
- New '35' and newly developed '45' engine variant – The latest point of entry to the world of Mercedes-AMG. Now offered in the CLA and A- Class, the high torque, AMG-enhanced 2.0L Inline-4 turbo engine delivers 302 horsepower and is based on the M260 four-cylinder engine in the new A-Class Sedan. The CLA 45 is now powered by the newly developed M139 2.0-liter engine, the world's most powerful turbocharged four-cylinder manufactured for series production producing 382 hp and 354 lb-ft.
- Active Stop-and-Go Assist – First introduced in the MY20 GLE, the Active Stop-and-Go Assist driver assistance system enables the vehicle to recognize traffic jams at an early stage, actively supporting the driver in stop-and-go traffic up to approximately 37 mph.
- Cross-Traffic Function - If there is a danger of a collision with oncoming traffic when making a turn, the vehicle can brake at the speeds typical of such maneuvers. Braking intervention takes place if the driver signals the intention to turn (with the turn signals) and the vehicle can brake to a stop before crossing the lane marking.
- Exit Warning Function – For MY20, vehicles equipped with Blind Spot Assist include an added Vehicle Exit Warning function, which can lower the risk of a collision with other road users after the vehicle is parked, such as passing cyclists. Vehicle Exit Warning monitors the blind spot when the vehicle is at a standstill or parked, and can warn the driver of approaching vehicles, motorcycles or bicycles when opening the door. This function is even active for up to three minutes after switching off the engine. The warning appears in the exterior mirrors and is audibly signaled via the instrument cluster.
- ENERGIZING COACH – This new feature within ENERGIZING COMFORT acts as a guide for users. Based on an intelligent algorithm, ENERGIZING COACH recommends a specific program depending on the situation and individual. If a compatible Garmin® wearable is worn, personal values such as stress level or quality of sleep optimize the accuracy of the recommendation. The aim is for passengers to feel refreshed and relaxed even during demanding or monotonous journeys
# # #
About Mercedes-Benz USA
Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA), headquartered in Atlanta, is responsible for the distribution, marketing and customer service for all Mercedes-Benz products in the United States. MBUSA offers drivers the most diverse lineup in the luxury segment with 15 model lines ranging from the sporty A-Class Sedan to the flagship S-Class and the Mercedes-AMG GT R. MBUSA is also responsible for Mercedes-Benz Vans in the U.S.