The Land Rover Story
SEE ALSO: Land Rover On The Auto Channel
THE LAND ROVER STORY
By Dave Phillips
LONDON (Aug. 29, 2019) - Dave Phillips' "The Land Rover Story" is now available in the U.S.
This book is a rollercoaster ride through the life and times of Land Rover. Fast-paced and entertainingly written, it brings alive all aspects of Land Rover from its humble beginnings in 1948 to today's world-wide renown, with the vehicles - successes and failures - and people at the centre of the story. The narrative progresses through the decades, dwelling on everything that its expert author, a true fan who has been passionate about Land Rovers since childhood, finds fascinating, informative, insightful and amusing - with the aim above all of being a damned good read. All Land Rover folk, and others besides, will love this treasure trove.
* The 1940s. How the Land Rover came about; the Wilks brothers; the Centre Steer enigma; development and production; launch and reaction.
* The 1950s. Rapid development and evolution of the original; successes and dead ends; worldwide reach; early expeditions; weird and wonderful modifications; the Series II.
* The 1960s. Consolidation and further developments; Series IIA; military models; initial development of the Range Rover; search for a V8 engine.
* The 1970s. The Series III; Range Rover's popularity but lack of investment; Land Rover abandons US market; the British Leyland story; escape from BL and Michael Edwardes, saviour of Land Rover.
* The 1980s. British Aerospace ownership; Land Rover grows as most of Britain's car industry self-destructs; emergence of the coil-sprung models; make or break time with launch of Discovery (Europe's best-selling 4x4).
* The 1990s. Tdi engines; Defender and its development. BMW ownership; second-generation Range Rover P38; Freelander; second-generation Discovery; Td5 engine.
* The 2000s. Ford takeover, alliance with Jaguar, shift towards luxury; third-generation Range Rover L322; the G4 Challenge; Discovery 3, Range Rover Sport, TDCi Defender, Freelander 2, Discovery 4.
* The 2010s. Tata takeover, upsurge in sales and profits; Range Rover Evoque and Victoria Beckham; Range Rover 4; Range Rover Sport 2; Discovery Sport; Discovery 5; Range Rover Velar; DC100 concept; end of Defender production; rise of Defender as a fashion icon; and much more.
About the Author:
Dave Phillips is one of the world's best-known Land Rover writers and is a former editor of both Land Rover Owner International and Land Rover Monthly, the best-selling magazines on the subject. He is also co-author of the Off-Road Driving Manual (Haynes). He grew up in rural west Norfolk in an era when every other vehicle on the country lanes was a hard-working Land Rover and has since driven these vehicles in most parts of the globe, including across deserts, up mountains and through tropical forests. These days he lives in Northamptonshire's Nene valley, which he enjoys exploring in his 1984 Ninety and 1996 Discovery.
"The Land Rover Story" is available in the U.S. from specialist and online booksellers.