Mitsubishi Motors Reports Best Annual Sales since 2007, Best December since 2006
CYPRESS, Calif.- Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) closed the 2018 calendar year with its best sales since 2007. With 118,074 vehicles sold, total 2018 sales represented an increase of 13.9 percent over calendar year 2017. This marks the sixth consecutive year-over-year sales increase for the brand, and the second-straight year of sales over 100,000 units. The company surpassed the 100,000 sales milestone in early November, the soonest in 11 years.
For the month of December, MMNA recorded sales of 8,986, up 5.7 percent over December 2017. This represented the best December in 12 years.
“Looking back, 2018 was a banner year for Mitsubishi Motors in the U.S.,” said Fred Diaz, president and CEO, MMNA. “We have a strong line-up that is resonating with buyers. Looking forward, we’re optimistic about the year ahead of us and continuing our sales momentum.”
News and notes:
- Echoing customers’ industry-wide preference for crossover utility vehicles (CUVs), MMNA’s broad CUV lineup lead the way for the brand in 2018.
- Outlander Sport finished the year up 18.1 percent over 2017, leading the company’s sales, and recorded its best sales year ever.
- The three-row Outlander also posted its best sales year ever with total sales up 6.6 percent over 2017. New to the lineup in 2018, the Eclipse Cross and Outlander plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV) both posted their best sales month ever in December.
- Eclipse Cross December sales were 1,597, while the Outlander PHEV posted sales of 431.
- Combined, MMNA’s CUVs posted total calendar year sales of 90,456, up 31.9 percent over 2017.
- While Mitsubishi’s SUV and CUV lineup lead the brand’s sales increases, the fuel-efficient and affordable Mirage and Mirage G4 bucked the industry trend away from passenger cars. For the calendar year, Mirage sales were up 8.6 percent.
- Together, Mirage and Mirage G4 posted December sales of 1,748, up 70.9 percent over 2017.
- The Mirage is the most fuel efficient, gas-powered, non-hybrid vehicle in America, offering an outstanding 36/43 mpg city/highway rating.
For more information on Mitsubishi Motors, please visit media.mitsubishicars.com.
About Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.
Through a network of approximately 355 dealer partners across the United States, Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for the sales, research and development, marketing and customer service of Mitsubishi Motors vehicles in the U.S. 2018 marked the brand’s sixth consecutive year of sales growth.
Located in Cypress, Calif., MMNA is a part of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance, the largest automaker alliance in the world. Mitsubishi continues to lead the way in the development of highly efficient, affordably priced new gasoline-powered automobiles, while using its industry-leading knowledge in battery-electric vehicles to develop future EV and PHEV models.