Subaru Donates 50 Cars to Meals on Wheels America in Celebration of 50th Anniversary in the U.S.
CHERRY HILL, N.J., Aug. 8, 2017 --In celebration of its 50th anniversary, and in keeping with its philosophy of supporting local communities, Subaru of America, Inc. announced today its donation of 50 vehicles to Meals on Wheels America. This fall, 50 new 2018 Subaru Outback vehicles will be donated to select Meals on Wheels programs throughout the county, to be used in the delivery of an estimated 53,000 meals to an additional 3,700 seniors across 39 states. The donation will address the Meals on Wheels network's growing demand for fuel-efficient, versatile and safe delivery vehicles to enable our nation's most vulnerable seniors to live nourished lives with independence and dignity.
Subaru has supported Meals on Wheels for the last nine years through Share the Love, contributing more than $12 million to Meals on Wheels America and providing more than 1.7 million nutritious meals, friendly visits, and safety checks to seniors in communities nationwide. Subaru announced the donation to its 630-strong retailer body at the company's National Business Conference in Denver, CO. This was particularly appropriate as Subaru retailers participate in the company's annual Share the Love event and donate to causes in their local community. The company's '50 Cars for 50 Years' vehicle donation will enable Meals on Wheels programs to deliver more nutritious meals and moments of companionship, expanding its reach to seniors in need.
"This generous vehicle donation will have an immediate and indelible impact on local Meals on Wheels programs and the seniors they serve – many of whom live in rural, remote and difficult to reach places," said Ellie Hollander, president and CEO, Meals on Wheels America. "This latest act of care and kindness further underscores Subaru of America's longstanding commitment to giving back to communities large and small."
The Subaru and Meals on Wheels partnership is part of Subaru Loves to Help, a pillar of the automaker's larger Subaru Love Promise Community Commitment effort dedicated to making a positive impact on local communities across the country. Each 2018 Subaru Outback donated will be delivered to local retailers and wrapped with Meals on Wheels America and 'Subaru Loves to Help' co-branding.
"We were pleased to break this announcement to our retailers as they do so much to help their local communities and showing them the first of 50 vehicles in the metal really brings the program to life," said Thomas J. Doll, president and chief operating officer, Subaru of America, Inc. "We wanted to celebrate our 50th anniversary in America in a way that is appropriate for our brand and are delighted to donate vehicles that will support local communities by combatting threats of isolation and hunger affecting seniors across the country. At Subaru, we believe in providing safe and reliable vehicles for all of life's journeys and are honored to partner with Meals on Wheels to help people live more nourished lives."
SUBARU '50 CARS FOR 50 YEARS' RECIPIENTS
- City of Kenai/Kenai Senior Services, Kenai, AK
- Homer Senior Citizens, Inc., Homer, AK
- United Way of Central Alabama, Birmingham, AL
- Senior Activity Center of Elkins, Elkins, AR
- CareLink, North Little Rock, AR
- Coconino County Community Services Department, Flagstaff, AZ
- Meals on Wheels and Senior Outreach Services, Walnut Creek, CA
- Service Opportunity for Seniors, San Leandro, CA
- Gray Gourmet, Grand Junction, CO
- Thames Valley Council for Community Action, Inc., Jewett City, CT
- Meals on Wheels, Etc., Sanford, FL
- Athens Community Council on Aging, Athens, GA
- Senior Citizens, Inc., Savannah, GA
- Metro Meals on Wheels, Boise, ID
- Community Action Partnership of Central Illinois, Lincoln, IL
- REAL Services, Inc., South Bend, IN
- Meals on Wheels Nemaha County, Seneca, KS
- Tri-County Community Action Agency, Inc., LaGrange, KY
- St. Martin Council on Aging, Breaux Bridge, LA
- Ethos Jamaica, Plain, MA
- Eastern Area Agency on Aging, Bangor, ME
- SeniorsPlus, Lewiston, ME
- Benzie County Council on Aging, Inc., Honor, MI
- CEAP Meals on Wheels, Brooklyn Center, MN
- Putnam County Senior Citizens, Unionville, MO
- Senior Services, Inc., Winston Salem, NC
- Meals on Wheels of Durham, Inc., Durham, NC
- Tabitha, Inc., Lincoln, NE
- Catholic Charities of Northern Nevada, Reno, NV
- Foodnet Meals on Wheels, Ithaca, NY
- Meigs County Council on Aging, Inc., Pomeroy, OH
- Westlake Meals on Wheels, Westlake, OH
- Meals on Wheels of Metro Tulsa, Tulsa, OK
- FOOD for Lane County, Eugene, OR
- Meals on Wheels of Northampton County, Bethlehem, PA
- Berks Encore, Reading, PA
- East Cooper Meals on Wheels, Mount Pleasant, SC
- Meals on Wheels Western South Dakota, Rapid City, SD
- Smoky Mountain Meals on Wheels, Maryville, TN
- Meals on Wheels of Johnson & Ellis Counties, Cleburne, TX
- Meals on Wheels San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
- Brigham City Senior Center Meals on Wheels, Brigham City, UT
- Appalachian Agency for Senior Citizens, Cedar Bluff, VA
- Waterbury Area Senior Citizens Association, Waterbury, VT
- Whatcom Council on Aging, Bellingham, WA
- Senior Life Resources, Meals on Wheels, Richland, WA
- Independent Living, Inc., Madison, WI
- Pendleton Senior and Family Services, Inc., Franklin, WV
- Tucker County Senior Citizens, Inc., Parsons, WV
- Uinta Senior Citizens Inc., Evanston, WY
About Subaru of America, Inc.
Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Subaru Corporation of Japan. Headquartered at a zero-landfill office in Cherry Hill, N.J., the company markets and distributes Subaru vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of more than 620 retailers across the United States. All Subaru products are manufactured in zero-landfill production plants and Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. is the only U.S. automobile production plant to be designated a backyard wildlife habitat by the National Wildlife Federation. SOA is guided by the Subaru Love Promise, which is the company's vision to show love and respect to everyone, and to support its communities and customers nationwide. Over the past 20 years, SOA has donated more than $120 million to causes the Subaru family cares about, and its employees have logged more than 40,000 volunteer hours. As a company, Subaru believes it is important to do its part in making a positive impact in the world because it is the right thing to do.
For additional information visit media.subaru.com. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
About Meals on Wheels America
Meals on Wheels America is the oldest and largest national organization supporting the more than 5,000 community-based programs across the country that are dedicated to addressing senior isolation and hunger. This network exists in virtually every community in America and, along with more than two million staff and volunteers, delivers the nutritious meals, friendly visits and safety checks that enable America's seniors to live nourished lives with independence and dignity. By providing funding, leadership, education, research and advocacy support, Meals on Wheels America empowers its local member programs to strengthen their communities, one senior at a time. For more information, or to find a Meals on Wheels provider near you, visit www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org.