Panasonic to Start Production of Heat-Resistant Phenolic Molding Compounds for Automotive Parts in Ayutthaya, Thailand
In order to respond quickly to customer requirements for local production in the automotive field in Southeast Asia, Panasonic will start production of phenolic molding compounds in Thailand.
Sample shipments will start from December 2015.
OSAKA, JAPAN -- December 21, 2015: -Panasonic Corporation’s Automotive & Industrial Systems Company will launch a production line for heat-resistant phenolic molding compounds  for use in automotive parts at Panasonic Manufacturing Ayutthaya Co., Ltd. (PMFAT). Full-scale operation is scheduled to start in February 2016. The production of these materials in Thailand represents an industry first*.
* For heat-resistant phenolic molding compounds; Panasonic survey
With demand in the automotive field expected to grow in Southeast Asia, numerous automotive and molding parts makers are expanding their production in the region, with many setting up purchase, R&D, and production functions at their major sites in Thailand. Panasonic will start producing heat-resistant phenolic molding compounds at PMFAT to provide efficient services close to its clients and to enhance its client development support capabilities in Southeast Asia. The company also intends to create and tap into new global demand for heat-resistant phenolic molding compounds.
Panasonic’s heat-resistant phenolic molding compounds
- Heat-resistant phenolic molding compounds are used as insulators in items such as automotive electric system components and structural parts.
- Our materials have the following features:
- Possessing both high heat resistance and strength, they are well suited for use in motor and vehicle parts.
- With excellent dimensional stability in high-temperature environments, they are ideal for high-reliability motor commutators .
- Able to realize weight reduction of motor cover parts, etc., by replacing some or all metal parts.
- With the production launch in Thailand, Panasonic will have three production sites for heat-resistant phenolic molding compounds, the other two sites being in Japan (Yokkaichi City, Mie Prefecture) and China (Shanghai City)
|Semiconductor encapsulation materials, thermosetting molding compounds, engineering plastics, paper phenolic circuit board materials, wiring devices, heat-resistant phenolic molding compounds for automotive parts (Production to start in February 2016)|
Heat-resistant phenolic molding compounds
Phenolic molding compounds having excellent heat resistance, dimensional stability, electrical insulation properties, and mechanical strength.
A motor component that switches the direction of the DC current flowing through the coils that rotate between field magnets, to produce unidirectional torque. Many automotive motor commutators use heat-resistant phenolic molding compounds that exhibit excellent electrical insulation properties between the metal shaft and metal segments (contact points), as well as outstanding mechanical strength and dimensional stability.