GKN Driveline in China Growth on Track
BEIJING--May 8, 2012: GKN Driveline's manufacturing footprint in China continues to grow at a rapid pace highlighted by the recent opening of its 7th production facility in the country.
Employing 250 workers, the new 13,900 square-meter plant in Changchun will have the capacity to build one million sideshafts a year and a new 10,000-square-meter, phase-two expansion of the plant will increase its capacity to four million sideshafts within the next five years.
This follows the opening in 2009, of a new plant in Wuhan that produces sideshafts for automakers in central China. The 25,000 square-meter plant is expected to produce two million sideshafts by the end of the year.
GKN Driveline continues to regard China as a key growth market for the company, forecasting vehicle production in China to reach 15 million units by 2014. The company's production capacity for CVJ (constant velocity joint) systems and AWD (all-wheel-drive) systems in China is expected to grow by 50 percent in the next three years.
"China is a key market for our overall growth strategy," said Marc Vuarchex, managing director, GKN Driveline Asia Pacific. "With our CVJ and AWD systems production along with our industry-leading electric-vehicle technology and plans to produce new, low-cost systems for China's small-car market, we will increase our number of employees by over 30% in China over the next four years."
Additional investment will be made over the next three years in Shanghai as well. The company is investing 94 million RMB to expand its research and development center in Shanghai which will lead to the development of prototyping facilities, as well as materials and metrology capability to allow products to be developed for the domestic Chinese market.
GKN Driveline's Product Segments include:
- GKN Driveline's constant velocity joint systems provide space, weight and fuel savings with greater all round efficiency.
- GKN Driveline supplies the most extensive range of CVJ systems -- used in the smallest ultra-low cost car through to the most sophisticated premium vehicle.
- GKN Driveline has full all-wheel drive systems capability.
- GKN Driveline's all-wheel drive couplings improve vehicle handling, stability and traction by intelligently distributing power, and disconnecting technology can supplement low drag and inertia for ultimate efficiency.
Trans Axle Solutions
- GKN Driveline produces highly durable open differentials and has the most extensive range of limited slip differentials (LSD), from the smallest Super LSD to the largest electronically controlled axle locker.
- For the ultimate capability, GKN Driveline's torque vectoring solutions provide the answer.
- GKN Driveline's pioneering electric drive technology is used in 250,000 vehicles today.
- GKN Driveline's eDrive systems are designed for the new generation of fuel efficient, low emission electric and hybrid vehicles.
About GKN in China
With over 20 years in China, GKN employs 4,000 people across its Driveline, Powder Metallurgy and Land Systems businesses. Continued investment in China over the next fiveyears will see the numbers employed rise to 6,000.
GKN was the first global automotive supplier to invest in China in 1988.
About GKN Driveline
GKN Driveline is the world's leading supplier of automotive driveline components and systems. As a global company serving the world's leading vehicle manufacturers, GKN Driveline develops, builds and supplies an extensive range of automotive driveline components -- for use in the smallest ultra low-cost car to the most sophisticated premium vehicle demanding the most complex driving dynamics.
GKN Driveline is a leading global producer of CVJ Systems, AWD Systems, Trans Axle Solutions and eDrive Systems and operates in 23 countries at 57 locations employing 22,000 people.