U.S. Automakers Look to Crossover Car Segment to Energize Sales - VIDEO STORY
SEE ALSO: Multi-make Crossover Buyers Guide
DETROIT - July 2, 2009: As automobile manufacturers move through the reorganization process, companies are banking on the Crossover category to energize car sales and bring consumers back into showrooms. Due to its rising popularity, General Motors is expecting a growth of about 60% in this category by 2013. In fact, their first vehicle introduced since the reorganization is a completely re-designed crossover SUV called the Equinox. The Equinox will get over 32 miles per gallon on the highway and provide a range of nearly 550 miles. It will also have 5-star safety and six airbags, delivering the best in each of those categories.
Click PLAY to watch video
2010 CHEVROLET EQUINOX: A COMPACT CROSSOVER FOR ALL SEASONS AND ALL LIFESTYLES
The all-new 2010 Equinox blends distinctive design with outstanding efficiency. A new, 2.4L direct injection engine helps this great-looking compact crossover deliver expected best-in-segment EPA estimated highway fuel economy of 32 mpg a 33-percent improvement over the previous model. Chevrolet expects nearly three-quarters of customers will choose the efficient, 2.4L engine.
The new Equinox draws its exterior design
Both the new, 2.4L engine and an available 3.0L V-6 feature fuel-saving direct injection and variable valve timing technology. Vehicle highlights include:• New, standard 2.4L Ecotec direct injected I-4 engine rated at 182 horsepower (136 kW), which delivers an EPA-estimated 32 mpg highway, 22 mpg city (EPA certification pending ). AWD models are estimated at 20 city/29 highway.
• New, available 3.0L DOHC direct injected V-6 engine rated at 264 horsepower (197 kW), which delivers an EPA-estimated 25 mpg highway, 17 mpg city
• All models have a six-speed automatic transmission; an eco mode on models with the 2.4L engine alters shift points to improve fuel economy
• Highway driving range of up to 600 miles (800 km) with the 2.4L engine and more than 500 miles with the 3.0L engine mean less-frequent fill-ups
• Six standard air bags: dual frontal air bags, head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags
• Standard four-wheel disc brakes with StabiliTrak electronic stability control and traction control
• Standard OnStar and XM Satellite Radio, with complimentary service intervals
• Smart remote starting system that also activates the HVAC system and optional heated seats depending on the outside temperature.
The new Equinox features Chevys signature global face a two-tier grille and prominent gold bowtie insignia. Strong fender shapes, a distinctive premium roofline, wraparound headlamps and dual round taillamps are additional elements that define Equinox as a true Chevrolet.