2007 Frankfurt Motor Show - BMW Concept X6 Sports Activity Coupe
Click PLAY button below to watch the complete BMW Press Conference at the 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show
FRANKFURT - September 11, 2007: BMW debuted today the world's first Sports Activity Coupé: The BMW Concept X6. As the founder of the Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) segment, BMW is now once again presenting a new, consistently developed concept.
The most sporting and dynamic interpretation of a BMW X model, with the emphasis above all on the car's active driving potential. Superior driving dynamics taken up by typical BMW design language and authentically visualised in the car’s design.
• Extravagant body design combining the sporting elegance of a BMW Coupé with the striking DNA of BMW X.
• Clear orientation to the wheels, generous ground clearance and extra-large wheel arches give BMW Concept X6 the powerful presence so characteristic of a BMW X model.
• BMW Concept X6 is the first car in the world to feature Dynamic Performance Control for unique directional stability and precision under all driving conditions as well as BMW’s intelligent xDrive all-wheel-drive technology.
The powerful presence of the car's body merges smoothly and harmoniously with the low-slung roof of the greenhouse. This flowing roofline is indeed a characteristic element of the coupé silhouette, just like the short front overhang, the long wheelbase and long rear overhang.
In its design, BMW Concept X6 expresses all the DNA so characteristic of BMW X. The optical balance of the front and rear wheels clearly visible from the side bears convincing testimony to BMW’s intelligent xDrive all-wheel-drive technology.
The second dominating element in the design of the body is the clear orientation to the car’s wheels, muscular wheel arches and large wheels providing a particularly impressive look and sign of stability.
The exterior is characterised by exciting interaction of convex
and concave surfaces:
• The side contour line rising up dynamically to the rear and the growing distance between the shoulder and the sill-line as the car moves to the back generate a dynamic wedge shape.
• The striking front view with clear focus on the car’s width bears out the expression so typical of a BMW X model. This powerful look is further enhanced by the extra-large BMW kidney grille serving as the air intake with robust slats, the headlights cut in a sharp profile, and clear accentuation of the side panels highlighting the flared contours of the wheel arches. The large air intakes, in turn, characterise the significant demand for cooling air in the engine, make the car look longer and underline its sporting character also from the front.
• The engine compartment lid comes with clear contours subdivided by sharp lines tapering out towards the BMW kidney grille. The elegant look created in this way is also characterised by bumper elements finished in body colour with discreet plastic appliqués in the typical style of a BMW X model.
• The unique design of the D-pillars expresses sheer power and stability, the innovative design of the rear lights emphasising the width of the car. Positioned far to the outside, the exhaust tailpipes and horizontal lines of BMW Concept X6 accentuate the wide track of the car.
• The dark paintwork standing out clearly form the chrome elements symbolises the sporting and technical character of BMW Concept X6, with sophisticated highlights being added by the sill trim at the side, the chrome-coloured slats, the foglamps with their special surrounds in the outer air intakes, as well as the chrome-plated tailpipes.
• The underfloor protection front and rear is made of milled aluminium.
• White direction indicator lines are integrated in the rear lights and the special night design of BMW Concept X6 is characterised by light bodies with a homogeneous light effect.