The Auto Channel
The Largest Independent Automotive Research Resource
The Largest Independent Automotive Research Resource
Official Website of the New Car Buyer


PHOTO (select to view enlarged photo)
Bill Summers, fourth from the right

PHOTO (select to view enlarged photo)

PHOTO (select to view enlarged photo)
Section of the car showing position of two engines and the Summers brothers' air intake.

The Culmination of a Race Car's Life - and Its Builder's As Well
By Steve Purdy
Detroit Bureau

Dearborn MI September 8, 2006; Bill Summers waited his turn for the podium this morning under the skylights at the famous Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI. Others told the basic story of the long, sleek race car under the silk cover while he looked on beaming with pride. Dignitaries and dozens of members of the Detroit Automotive Press Association were assembled to hear this fascinating story.

Bob Casey, curator of transportation at The Henry Ford, told how Bill and his late brother Bob, two young fellows totally untrained in engineering, two entirely self-taught mechanics and race car builders, designed and built the 32-foot-long, 4-engined, naturally aspirated Bonneville racer that broke the land speed record, held by British racers since the 1920s. Their speed was over 409-miles-per-hour. This was 1965. The Summers Brothers’ record lasted until 1991.

With a little assistance, 70-year-old Bill Summers then mounted the podium. It took him a few minutes to gain his composure. He was overcome by the emotion and the significance of the day’s events. He told me later that, “this is the culmination of the car’s life . . . and the culmination of mine.” Summers told the attentive audience a number of intriguing stories about how the Goldenrod came to be and how it became the record holder for all those years.

He talked about his good friend Ray Brock buying brother Bob a suit so he would look presentable when hustling sponsorships. He described quitting his job as a truck driver the day George Hurst handed him a sponsorship check for $5,000, breaking the ice that encouraged Firestone, Mobile Oil, Chrysler Corporation and the Champion Spark Plug Company to throw their money and expertise into the pot, making it possible for the brothers to build and campaign their car.

He told about building the car in a shed, formerly a vegetable stand, barely bigger than the car itself at 15X40-feet. And he told about acquiescing to the insistence of the Chrysler engineers that the air scoops be enlarged to get more air to the engines, when in fact the car ran faster with the smaller, more aerodynamic intakes they had designed.

And, he told how the Goldenrod got its name from the wonderful ’57 Chevy gold paint and its hot rod heritage.

Chrysler loaned the brothers four 426-cubic-inch Hemi V8 engines mounted end-to-end, two facing forward, two facing the rear. Two five-speed truck transmissions with first (creeper) gear removed were mounted one at each end of the car with two matching final drives. Everything was connected with special drive shafts and linkages making those engines and transmissions pull together in as simple a fashion as possible. The tube chassis, body panels, everything was hand built by the brothers. They had built dozens of race cars over the years, just for the sheer fun of racing; just for the sheer joy of going fast.

Bob was the driver, the thrill-seeker, the guy with the need for adrenalin. Bill was the practical, natural born mechanic – we might say, the instinctive engineer. As youngsters they worked well together because they both loved racing - in the classic Southern California sense.

The fateful day came on November 12, 1965. The car was ready but the weather at the Bonneville Salt Flats had not been good over the previous weeks. It was too wet and windy most of the time. As the weather cleared the course was committed to others and it looked like the Summers brothers would have to wait until 1966 for an attempt. By then the sponsor dollars might not hold out. But, good fortune was with them. Art Arfons, friend and fellow racer, had just set a new record for jet-powered cars and had “salt time” left. He called the Summers brothers and told them if they could get there PDQ they could have his left-over time.

The vegetable stand in Ontario, California must have been chaotic as they packed everything up and burst out of there for Bonneville. Warm up and practice went well. Finally, the support truck pushed the Goldenrod out to the starting area and onto the course. She fired up and off she went. The first 6-mile run was 417-mph and some change. She was still accelerating at over 400-mph as Bob reached down with both hands to shift into fourth. Bob, not one for excessive verbalizing, once described the cars handling as similar to being guided by a string – straight and true. Good thing, since it literally takes two hands to shift because of all that linkage.

To be an official time it takes two runs and the team has an hour between them to fuel, adjust and get ready for the second. With five minutes to spare Goldenrod was off again for the return run. Conditions were still good, everything worked just right and the rest is history – average speed through two runs: 409.277 mph. Beating those arrogant Brits by a comfortable margin (more than 6-mph), proving that good American ingenuity could get the job done simpler, lighter and for a fraction of the cost of the last car to set the record.

As brother Bob, came in after his return run having set the world land speed record for wheel-driven cars, the timer asked if he wanted to take another shot at it, perhaps go a little faster. He had a glint in his eye and was thinking about it when Brother Bill, the team manager, called it a done deal. It was too expensive, and too dangerous, to tempt fate like that when they didn’t need to.

Things changed significantly after that. Bill went on a number of world tours with the Goldenrod – visited Europe five times, he’s proud to say. His reception in Brittan was not as congenial as elsewhere since it was a long-standing British dominance of the sport that he and his brother defeated. But Bill and the car were one for many years. Chrysler had taken back their loaned engines – a good thing since the car was much lighter to truck around without all that weight.

But, things were never quite the same after the record run. They didn’t go racing together much after that. They had sort of reached the pinnacle, I guess.

Bill and Bob went into business making and selling specialty race car parts, particularly axles and gear drives. But their life views were quite different and they found it more and more difficult to work together.

Bob ‘Butch’ Summers died in 1992.

The Henry Ford, which includes both Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum, got wind of the Goldenrod’s availability and purchased it in 2002. Part of the cost of restoration was covered by a federal grant from Save America’s Treasures. The only other motor vehicle ever supported by this grant is the Rosa Parks Bus, also in The Henry Ford collection.

Mike Cook of California oversaw the restoration. A second generation hot rodder himself, Cook is past president of the Southern California Timing Association, official land speed record sanctioning body. The car was in dismal shape, he reported, with severe salt damage to the aluminum bulkheads and many other parts. The restoration philosophy was to save as much of the original car as possible even if that meant a less than perfect result. This is, after all, a magnificent artifact, not a show car.

Being purchased and restored by one of the most prestigious museums in the country – perhaps the world – is akin to being inducted into a hall of fame. Bill Summers was humbled and honored by the attention afforded him, his brother, and particularly to the resurrected legendary race car called Goldenrod.


Steve Purdy, Shunpiker Productions All Rights Reserved