Frozen Squirrels and Flying Kebabs Behind Strangest Motor Claims
LONDON - February 5: Norwich Union reveals the strangest causes of motor insurance claims
Freak incidents involving animals top the list when it comes to bizarre motor claims, according to claims data released today by Norwich Union.
From frozen squirrels crashing through windscreens to cows jumping on quad bikes and zebras colliding into cars in safari parks, our furry friends can lead to a drive on the wild side.
Food is the second biggest cause of bizarre claims, and in the past year Norwich Union has recorded incidents involving potatoes lodged behind brake pedals and frozen kebabs flying out of cars and damaging nearby vehicles.
This highlights the diversity of claims lodged by motorists and Norwich Union has compiled a list of the ten strangest claims received in the past 12 months:
1. "A frozen squirrel fell out of a tree and crashed through the windscreen on to the passenger seat"
2. "The car was parked when a reindeer fell on the bonnet of my car"
3. "As I was driving round a bend, when one of the doors opened and a frozen kebab flew out, hitting and damaging a passing car"
4. "A herd of cows licked my car and caused damage to the paintwork"
5. "A zebra collided with my car when I was at a safari park"
6. "While I was waiting at traffic lights, a wasp went down my trouser leg which made me hit the accelerator and prang the car in front"
7. "I couldn't brake because a potato was logged behind the brake"
8. "My parked car was hit by a bull which had escaped from an agricultural show"
9. "A cow jumped on my quad bike"
10. "As I came over a hill, I hit a cow in the middle of the road, which then hit the bonnet and shattered the windscreen with its rear end." (The cow survived)
Sally Leeman of Norwich Union said: "Who would have thought that frozen squirrels and potatoes could be such hazards! We see a lot of strange claims but we were surprised at how many involved animals and food of all things. We can hardly tell drivers to beware of flying kebabs and frozen squirrels when they're on the roads, but this shows how important it is to be aware of what's going on around you at all times."