2006 Subaru Tribeca - A Previewby Mark Fulmer, Editor In Chief
It's a biggest (sized) Subaru yet - ready to take on the big name SUVs, and we think, will do quite well. Soon you'll be reading about the Tribeca here at TACH via our reviewing and test driving crew, but until then, we thought we'd give you preview.
2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca
• Flagship of the Subaru line and the brand’s first 7-passenger vehicle (choice of 5- or 7-passenger seating)
• Progressive-type SUV combines the agility and comfort found in Outback models with the additional room and flexibility of a larger SUV package.
• Debuts new design language for Subaru, featuring a distinctive front grill theme derived from the company’s aircraft heritage.
• Boldly designed and luxuriously equipped interior with available navigation and DVD entertainment systems.
• 250-horsepower 3.0-liter 6-cylinder boxer engine teamed to 5-speed automatic transmission (with SPORTSHIFT) and the most advanced version of Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive with vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC).
• Based on extensively modified version of the Legacy/Outback
platform featuring longer wheelbase and length and wider track; body
structure provides 22-percent increase in torsional rigidity and a
55-percent increase in bending stiffness; all-new double-wishbone rear
suspension replaces multi-link suspension from Legacy/Outback; revised
front suspension for even greater ride smoothness; standard 18-inch
aluminum-alloy wheels (vs. 17-inch for Outback).
• Generous 8.4 inches of ground clearance and high seating point desired in an SUV, but with the comfortable step-in height of a sport wagon.
• Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) All-Wheel Drive combined with Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) stability system and 4-wheel traction control system (TCS) are standard features. VTD normally sends more power to the rear wheels (45/55 front/rear power split) to enhance handling agility. In response to driving and road conditions, VDC regulates power distribution through the center differential via the electronically managed continuously variable hydraulic transfer clutch.
• Proven Subaru safety with Ring Frame Reinforced body structure, including hydroformed front subframe and tailored-blank welded side structural members.
• Standard safety technology includes front seat side impact air bags, curtain side air bags and
• Standard 4-wheel-disc Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD).
• Luxurious interior with twin cockpit design, flowing, sculptured dash and center console, large, clear electroluminescent gauge displays, and standard 7-inch vehicle information display screen (also used by available navigation system); easy-to-use controls and displays for automatic climate control system and audio system; ambient interior lighting in front and rear footwells and “shower” lighting for console. &
#8226; Second row seats feature 40/20/40 folding/reclining rear seat backrest and 60/40 split seat cushion with 8-in. slide range; thirdrow seats (when equipped) fold flat in 50/50 split for more flexible cargo space usage. Rear-seat air conditioning on 7-passenger models.
• Available rear-seat DVD entertainment system features 9-inch diagonal wide-screen LCD, two sets of wireless headphones and remote inputs for games and video camera.
• Available navigation system on 7-seat Limited model Basic Specifications Body 5- or 7-pass. SUV Wheelbase 108.2 in. Length 189.8 in. Engine DOHC H6, 3.0-liter Horsepower 250 @ 6,600 rpm Torque 219 lb-ft. @ 4,200 rpm Key Standard Features (5-passenger model)
• 18-inch alloy wheels with 255/55 R18 raised black letter tires
• 100-watt AM/FM stereo system with single-disc CD player and 6 speakers and remote controls on steering wheel
• 40/20/40 split/reclining rear seat backrest with integral arm rest
• 60/40 split/sliding rear seat cushion with 8-in. slide range
• 4-channel / 4-sensor Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
• 8-way power driver’s seat and 4-way power passenger seat with manually adjustable lumbar
• Ambient lighting for front and rear footwells and shifter area on console
• Carpeted floor mats
• Cruise control
– dual front in console; dual in rear fold-down armrest; sport bottle holders molded into front and rear door trim and cargo area quarter panel trim
• Deep tinted privacy glass on rear side and liftgate
• Dual-zone automatic climate control system with air filtration
• Four 12-volt power outlets: two in front center console and two in rear seat/cargo area
• HomeLink® remote control system with three memory settings
• Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter handle
• Multifunction display with readouts for clock, audio system, fuel economy and outside temperature
• Multi-reflector halogen foglights
• Power door locks • Power glass moonroof
• Power mirrors with integrated LED turn signals and heated defrost
• Power windows with driver’s auto-down and illuminated window switches
• Rear window defroster and window wiper/washer with wiper de-icer
• Remote keyless entry system with gate release
• Security system with engine immobilizer
• Tilt-adjustable steering column
• Tire pressure monitoring system
• Windshield wiper de-icer The Limited model adds:
• Leather seat surfaces for front and middle rows; choice of Comfort beige leather with smooth surface or gray Sport with perforated surface
• 160-watt AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD changer, upgraded speakers and rear sub-woofer (nine speakers total) 7-passenger model adds:
• 50/50 split fold-down third-row seat • Heated front seats
• Individual manual rear air conditioner control Available options for 7-passenger models:
• Rear-seat DVD entertainment system with 9-inch wide-screen LCD, two sets of wireless headphones, remote control and remote inputs for games and video camera
• Navigation system (Limited model only)