NASCAR WCUP: Brickyard 400 Wrap Up
9 August 1999Winner: Dale Jarrett
Team: Quality Care/Ford Credit Ford Taurus
* Dale Jarrett won the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, his fourth victory in 1999. It is his 22nd career victory in 375 NASCAR Winston Cup races. His most recent victory came at Daytona, three races ago. It is his 18th top-10 finish, including 16 top-fives, in 20 races this season.
* This was Jarretts second victory in six races at Indianapolis. He became the second driver to win two races here joining Jeff Gordon who won here in 1994 and 1998.
* Jarrett led six times for 117 of the 160 laps raced, the third time this season that he has led the most laps in a race.
* Jarrett moved into 23rd-place on the all-time winners list.
* All of the previous winners of the Brickyard 400 finished in the top 10 in todays race: Jarrett, Gordon (third), Rudd (ninth) and Earnhardt (10th).
* Ford continues to lead the manufacturers points race with 10 victories and 144 points. Chevrolet has six victories and 122 points while Pontiac has four victories and 114 points.
* Dale Jarrett holds a 274-point lead over second-place Mark Martin, again expanding his lead to the biggest point margin of the 1999 season.
* Jarrett won $30,000 in NASCAR Winston Cup Leader bonus money for winning the race and being the point leader at the end of the race. The NASCAR Winston Cup Leader bonus will be worth $10,000 for next weeks race at Watkins Glen.
* Bobby Labonte (second) scored his 14th top-five finish this season. Labonte has scored top-five finishes in three of the six races at Indianapolis, including finishing second twice.
* Jeff Gordon (third) scored his 12th top-five finish in 1999. He has finished sixth or better in five of the six races at Indianapolis.
* Mark Martin (fourth) scored his 16th top-10 finish in 1999, including 13 top-fives. This was his fifth straight finish of sixth or better at Indianapolis.
* Jeff Burton (fifth) scored his 12th top-five finish in 1999 and his first ever top-10 finish at Indianapolis. His previous best finish here was an 11th-place finish in 1996.
* Ward Burton (sixth) scored his best career finish at Indianapolis. His previous best finish here was a 19th-place finish in 1997.
* Tony Stewart (seventh) was the highest finishing rookie for the 19th time this season. This was his 12th top-10 finish this season.
* Bobby Labonte is the only driver to lead at least one lap in 18 of the 20 races and the only driver to lead at least one lap in every superspeedway race this season.
* Bobby Labonte and Rick Mast are the only drivers to compete in every race this season that have not posted a DNF.
* Jeff Gordon, Dale Jarrett and Mark Martin have each scored four top-five finishes in the six NASCAR Winston Cup races at Indianapolis.
* Rusty Wallace joins Gordon and Martin in scoring five top-10 finishes in the six NASCAR Winston Cup races at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
* The top-10 finishers included five Fords, three Ponitacs and two Chevrolets.