How U.S. Residents Are Traveling After COVID-19
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla., July 8, 2020 -- The effects of COVID-19 have changed travel for the foreseeable future.
According to data from travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth.com, travelers' post-COVID-19 concerns have impacted their travel behavior.
Travelers Purchasing Cancellation Coverage
Travelers looking for coverage to cancel are showing caution and doubt following COVID-19, booking shorter trips further in the future compared to last year.
- Travelers purchased their policies almost 5 months prior to their departure, 48% further out than last year.
- Travelers are taking shorter trips than last year, only traveling for an average of 13 days.
- Travelers are spending 23% more on international trips this year, and 21% more on domestic trips.
Travelers Purchasing Emergency Medical Coverage
As travel suppliers are offering fully refundable trips, travelers taking advantage of those deals are only looking for medical travel insurance.
- These travelers are taking trips over a month long on average, traveling 62% longer than last year.
- Travelers are purchasing policies earlier, an average of 55 days prior to departure, compared to just 26 days in 2019.
View year over year comparison graphs.
View Squaremouth's previous report on how COVID-19 has changed where travelers are going.
Methodology: Data is based on all travel insurance policies purchased through Squaremouth.com between January 21-June 21, 2020. Statistics reflect year-over-year changes unless otherwise noted.
TRAVEL INSURANCE INFORMATION FOR COVID-19
The Traveler's Guide to Travel Insurance for COVID-19 was created to inform travelers about their insurance options during the coronavirus pandemic.
The Coronavirus Pandemic Current Event Center includes answers to frequently asked questions and providers' position statements. These resources are updated daily as the situation evolves.
SQUAREMOUTH compares travel insurance policies from every major travel insurance provider in the United States. Using Squaremouth's comparison engine and third-party customer reviews, travelers can research and compare travel insurance policies side-by-side. More information can be found at www.squaremouth.com.
Available Topic Expert: