Chrysler Group is the Fastest Growing Manufacturer in California for Second Consecutive Year
IRVINE, CA--March 25, 2013:
- Chrysler Group's retail sales increased 50 percent in 2012 compared with sales in 2011; Fastest-growing manufacturer in the state
- FIAT brand retail sales were up 254 percent in 2012 versus 2011; Fastest-growing brand in the state
- Ram Truck brand retail sales were up 47 percent in 2012 compared with sales in 2011
- Chrysler brand retail sales increased 43 percent in 2012 versus sales in the prior year
- Dodge brand retail sales grew 37 percent in 2012 compared with sales in 2011
- Jeep® brand retail sales were up 38 percent in 2012 versus sales in 2011
- Chrysler Group retail share increased to 5.8 percent in 2012, up 0.9 percentage points from 2011
Chrysler Group LLC's continued focus on the California market is paying dividends as it was the fastest-growing manufacturer in the state in 2012 with retail sales up 50 percent.
Chrysler Group volume increased 50 percent to 77,266 registrations in California in 2012, up from 51,517 registrations in 2011. In comparison, industry sales in California last year grew by only 26 percent.
Since opening its California Business Center here in 2011, retail registrations have shot up 137 percent, according to Experian Automotive Data, from 32,601 to 77,266. Chrysler Group's share of the California market, based on retail registrations, has grown to 5.8 percent, up 2.3 percentage points from a 3.5 percent share in 2010.
"Looking back on 2012, we were the fastest-growing manufacturer in the state of California and also one of the fastest-growing automakers in the country," said Reid Bigland, Head of U.S. Sales, Chrysler Group LLC. "Seven of our vehicles recorded their best ever annual sales in 2012 demonstrating how the quality, design and fuel efficiency of our product line up continues to resonate with consumers."
By focusing almost exclusively on one of the most important car markets in the world, Chrysler Group's California Business Center has been able to sustain the momentum started in 2011.
Several factors have contributed to this:
- California-inspired models like the S model vehicles from the Chrysler brand and the Altitude models from the Jeep brand have strongly appealed to Californians
- Fuel-efficient models like the Dodge Dart, Fiat 500 and Ram 1500 with the 8-speed transmission are being noticed
- California creative and advertising connect Chrysler Group's varied brands and models to the unique consumer in California. Whether it is using a Ram pickup truck to get to the beach and mountains for surfing and skiing on the same day or taking in many of California's unique outdoor venues in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler Group communicates that it has a brand and model to fit the consumer's lifestyle
Chrysler Group is not resting and looks forward to a strong 2013. The Dodge Dart is now the highest-volume model in the Dodge brand lineup in the state, and a California Special Edition package is due to hit dealer showrooms later this month.
An all-new Jeep Cherokee returns this fall and will compete in California's third-largest segment, the mid-size SUV segment. The FIAT brand is adding the Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio, the Fiat 500e and the larger Fiat 500L. The Jeep brand just refreshed the award-winning Grand Cherokee adding a diesel version, refreshed Heavy Duty Ram pickup trucks arrive later this year and the SRT Viper returns this year as well.
"We had a strong year in 2012, as the California consumer continued to respond to our new and refreshed products," said Jason Stoicevich, Director of the California Business Center. "A combination of California-inspired models, unique California advertising, new dealers, healthier dealers and new fuel-efficient models like the 41 mpg Dodge Dart have really resonated with consumers in the Golden State."