MAYFIELD VILLAGE, Ohio--February 19, 2013: Business travelers who park their cars at the airport several days a week. Families with an extra car they only drive occasionally. Drivers who avoid slamming on the brakes. They're all less likely to be in an accident and can save money on their car insurance with Snapshot, Progressive's optional Pay As You DriveÂ insurance discount program, a form of insurance also known as usage-based insurance (UBI).
“Now, Washington drivers are just 30 days away from saving with the Snapshot program.”
With Snapshot, consumers can save on their car insurance based on their safe driving habits. Drivers currently earning discounts in the optional program are already saving an average of $150 per year. The program is now available to Progressive customers in Washington and open for a free test drive to all drivers in the state even if they are not Progressive customers. To test drive Snapshot, visit: http://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot-test-drive.aspx.
Snapshot creates a personalized insurance rate based on a driver's actual habits. Progressive has been awarded a series of patents on the methods and systems used in Snapshot, creating a program that is unmatched in its advanced technology, security and ability to optimize discounts for customers.
"More than one million drivers have participated in our program to get personalized car insurance rates by sharing information about their safe driving," said Dave Pratt, Progressive's general manager of usage-based insurance. "Now, Washington drivers are just 30 days away from saving with the Snapshot program."
How Snapshot Works
- After drivers sign up for the Snapshot program, they receive a device that fits in the palm of their hand and plugs into the on-board diagnostic (OBD) port of their car. The Snapshot device measures how, how much and when consumers drive their vehicle, then sends that driving data to Progressive. It doesn't have GPS, so it doesn't track a vehicle's location or know if a driver is speeding.
- After 30 days, customers will find out if they're eligible for a discount based on their driving habits. People who drive less, in safer ways and during safer times of day are more likely to get a discount.
- Customers that keep the device installed for their six-month policy term will receive their final discount and return the device to Progressive.
- Non-customers that test drive Snapshot will have the option to switch to Progressive and keep their discount or return the device to Progressive without switching.
- Snapshot is voluntary and customers can opt out at any time.
- Drivers who are not Progressive customers are not required to switch after testing Snapshot.
- Drivers can earn a discount from 0-30 percent based on their driving behavior.
- Customers can review their projected discount by simply visiting www.progressive.com and logging into their policy, or using Progressive's mobile app.
- Progressive has tested and refined its UBI program for more than 15 years and has collected more than six billion miles of driving data.