MAYFIELD VILLAGE, Ohio--November 14, 2012: -Business travelers who park their cars at the airport several days a week. Families with an extra car they only drive occasionally. Drivers who avoid slamming on the brakes. They're all less likely to be in an accident and can save money on their car insurance with Snapshot®, Progressive's optional Pay As You Drive insurance discount program, a form of insurance also known generically as usage-based insurance.
“More than a million drivers have participated countrywide to get personalized car insurance rates by sharing a picture of how they drive. Now, Illinois customers are just 30 days away from saving with the Snapshot program.”
With Snapshot, customers can save on their car insurance based on their driving habits. Drivers currently enrolled in the optional program are already saving an average of $150 per year. Progressive recently expanded access to Snapshot to drivers who aren't Progressive customers, so any Illinois driver who's interested in saving money has the opportunity to take a free test drive of Snapshot, and after 30 days find out whether their own driving behavior can lower the price they pay for auto insurance. To test drive Snapshot, visit: Snapshot Test Drive.
How it Works
- After Illinois drivers sign up for the Snapshot program, they receive a device that fits in the palm of their hand and plugs into the on-board diagnostic (OBD) port of their car. The device records and sends the driving data to Progressive.
- After 30 days, customers will find out if they're eligible for a discount based on their driving habits and will see that discount applied to their policy. People who drive less, in safer ways and during safer times of day are more likely to get a discount.
- At the end of the six-month policy term we determine the renewal discount and the customer returns the device to us.
- All Illinois drivers, current customers or not, testing out Snapshot log on during the 30-day trial period to see how their driving habits measure up; and if they choose, make changes behind the wheel that could lead to greater savings. Drivers will also see whether they would save with Snapshot after 30 days.
- Snapshot is voluntary and customers can opt out at any time. Drivers who are not Progressive customers are not required to switch after testing Snapshot.
- The Snapshot device measures how, how much and when customers drive their vehicle. It doesn't have GPS, so it doesn't track a vehicle's location.
- Customers can review their projected discount wherever they are, by simply visiting http://mobile.progressive.com and logging into their policy.
Snapshot represents the next generation of usage-based insurance, which creates a personalized insurance rate based on a customer's actual driving habits. Progressive has been awarded a series of patents on the methods and systems used in Snapshot, creating a program that's unmatched in its advanced technology, security, and ability to optimize discounts for customers.
Richard Hutchinson, Progressive's general manager of usage-based insurance
"More than a million drivers have participated countrywide to get personalized car insurance rates by sharing a picture of how they drive. Now, Illinois customers are just 30 days away from saving with the Snapshot program."
"Snapshot is transforming auto insurance because, for the first time, drivers can pay for car insurance based on how they drive."