FIA GP3 - Daly Heads To Valencia With Confidence
Valencia, Jun. 19, 2012: American Conor Daly returns to GP3 action this weekend, June 22nd-24th, for rounds five and six of the GP3 championship to be held during the European Grand Prix around the harbor streets of Valencia, Spain. Daly will be armed with a car that is virtually brand new after his spectacular crash in Monaco three weeks ago. He is also coming off two very productive days of testing last week at Circuit Ricardo Tormo, a purpose built circuit on the outskirts of Valencia.
Daly's aim will be to get his championship fight back on track after his two non-points finishes in Monaco. "I can't wait to get to Valencia as it's one of my favorite circuits of the year," said Daly. "Lotus GP did an outstanding job building a new car and I want to repay them for all of their hard work. The new car was good last week in the tests and the opening session on Friday morning cannot come soon enough."After winning round two in Barcelona, Spain, Daly fell foul of the demands of Monaco after a frustrating qualifying session that saw his lap that was fast enough for the pole be aborted because of another competitor's accident. That left him eighth on the starting grid, but he jumped the start, and was handed a stop and go penalty. That put him at the back of the field only to have his fuel pump fail on the last lap which meant he started race two of the weekend from the 24th starting position. After a stellar drive through the field he was attempting to take 11th place when the accident occurred entering the fastest part of the circuit, braking for the harbor chicane.
"Monaco is over, I've moved on, I understand what happened and why and I'm focused on the future," said Daly. "I've got a great team and together we will plan and execute the rest of the season at the highest level possible."