2012 Nissan GT-R: The Promise Fulfilled +VIDEO
FRANKLIN, TN - August 11, 2011: For the 2012 model year, “Innovation for All” again takes many forms in the Nissan line up – from the enhanced 530-horsepower Nissan GT-R and the totally redesigned, 38-mpg second-generation Nissan Versa Sedan to the segment-redefining Nissan NV commercial vehicle lineup. Other updates for 2012 include a refreshed version of the flagship Nissan Maxima with a new Limited Edition model, a new Nissan Rogue Special Edition model and new standard features for the Nissan LEAF™ electric vehicle.
2012 Nissan GT-R
The Nissan GT-R has a new look, new colors, new wheel design and, most important to fans of pure power, more horsepower under the hood. In addition, a new “Black Edition”– with unique seat trim, interior colors and wheels – joins the GT-R Premium model.
The 2012 Nissan GT-R’s advanced VR38DETT 3.8-liter twin turbo V6 now produces 530 horsepower (versus the previous 485 horsepower) and 448 lb-ft of torque (versus the previous 434 lb-ft) – a result of modifying the boost pressure of the turbocharger, valve timing and air fuel ratio, and through reduced intake air resistance created by enlarging the inlet pipe diameter. In addition, exhaust air resistance was reduced through use of an enlarged diameter exhaust pipe.
Watch the Nissan GT-R promo video
GT-R’s already impressive aerodynamic performance has been improved for 2012 with downforce increased by about 10% and the coefficient of drag reduced to 0.26 (from 0.27).
Inside, the revisions for 2012 include new carbon fiber trim and upgraded materials. The Black Edition adds custom red and black Recaro® leather-appointed seats, red and black interior trim and a dark headliner.
Key features of the 2012 Nissan GT-R include:
• Enlarged fascia and grille openings that help reduce air resistance inside the engine compartment; the volume of air that cools the front brakes and passes through the radiator is also increased
• Improved fuel economy estimates of 16 city and 23 highway (versus 15/21 mpg in 2011)
• Built on an exclusive Premium Midship platform, which enables the use of the world’s first independent rear transaxle ATTESA E-TS all-wheel drive system
• Newly designed, lighter weight and more rigid forged aluminum 20-inch wheels, once again manufactured by RAYS®
• The Black Edition features special metallic black six-spoke RAYS® lightweight wheels in place of the Premium model’s 10-spoke design
• A cockpit-style instrument panel with a large center-mounted tachometer and multi-function display – which includes mechanical and driving information, as well as an on-board driving recorder
• Standard specially designed 11-speaker Bose® sound system with speakers mounted in rigid aluminum die cast panels
• Six exterior colors are available, including two new colors: Deep Blue Pearl and Jet Black (which replaces Obsidian Black)
• SEE ALSO: Nissan Buyers Guide
The 2012 Nissan GT-R is offered in two models: GT-R Premium and GT-R Black Edition. It is available now through approximately 650 official “GT-R certified” Nissan dealers across the United States.