Gilmore Car Museum Appoints New Board Members
Gilmore Car Museum Appoints New Board Members
The Gilmore Car Museum, Hickory Corners, MI, is pleased to announce the
appointment of four members to its Foundation's Board of Trustees; Dr.
William C. Richardson, Jon Bowers, Larry Baum and Chris Maloney. Each have
overseen successful businesses, have strong ties to their local communities,
and have become actively involved in the mission of the Gilmore Car Museum.
Michael Spezia, Executive Director of the Museum, sees the new appointments
to the board as, "very significant" and adds, "as stakeholders, they will
add a national business perspective to the board."
The new appointees are:
Larry Baum, a passionate collector of historic automobiles, is the president
of Hastings Fiber Glass Products, Inc., a manufacturer of tools and safety
equipment for the high voltage electrical power and communications
industries worldwide. Mr. Baum and his wife, Earlene have been strong
supporters of local causes, among them Pennock Health Services and the
Hastings Area Schools. The Baum's have underwritten the cost of high school
athletic programs to avoid their school's need to institute a "pay-to-play"
system and two years ago funded renovation of the high school's stadium. Mr.
Baum was instrumental in seeing the Gilmore Car Museum begin its high school
auto restoration program, "Gilmore Garage Works," and has been a strong
advocate for additional educational programs at the museum.
Jon Bowers is president of Bowers Manufacturing Co., a leader in custom
aluminum extrusion, fabrication and anodizing for the automotive, office
furniture and related industries. Founded in 1928 by Mr. Bowers'
grandfather, the Portage, MI firm was well known in the 1950s and '60s for
its Bowers Lighters, which are highly collectible today. Jon also owns WACO
Classic Aircraft Company, the world's only manufacturer of a modern,
FAA-certified re-creation of the classic WACO barnstorming biplane of the
1930s. Centennial Aircraft Services, founded in 1985 as a subsidiary of WACO
Classic Aircraft, is internationally known for its award winning restoration
& maintenance of historic aircraft. Mr. Bowers also owns a collection of
Model A Fords and serves on the board of the Kalamazoo Air Zoo.
Chris Maloney is the great grandson of Donald and Genevieve Gilmore,
founders of the Gilmore Car Museum. Mr. Maloney was the founder, president,
and CEO of TriTech Software Systems of San Diego, a company which he
recently sold. TriTech specialized in the development of advanced 911
computer software for the public safety industry used in over 850 locations
in seven countries. He was also a founder and president/CEO of Voyager
Systems, a public safety wireless software and services company. He
currently serves on the board of trustees of the CATE School, a four-year
college prep boarding school started in 1910 and of which Mr. Maloney is an
alumni. He has also been actively involved with St. Baldrick's Foundation,
the world's biggest volunteer-driven fund raising program for the fight
against childhood cancer.
Dr. William C. Richardson served as president of Johns Hopkins University,
world-renowned for its research, medical school and affiliated hospital,
from 1990 to 1995. He then became the president and CEO of The Kellogg
Foundation in Battle Creek, MI, ranked among the world's largest private
foundations. Started in 1930 by breakfast cereal entrepreneur W. K. Kellogg
as a way to "assure that all children have an equitable and promising
future," the organization today grants in excess of $300 million annually.
Since retirement in 2005, Dr. Richardson has become a sought-after
consultant and continues to serve as a board member of several respected
The Museum began in 1963 as the hobby of Donald S. Gilmore when his wife
Genevieve gave him an antique car as a gift-a 1920 Pierce-Arrow "project
car." Within three years, his collection numbered over 30 automobiles. It
was Mr. Gilmore's wife who suggested the idea of turning the collection into
a museum where future generations could enjoy the restored cars for years to
come. Donald Gilmore purchased 90 acres of farm property, had several
historic barns dismantled piece by piece, and moved to the site to create
the Gilmore Car Museum. The Gilmores established a non-profit foundation and
opened the Museum to the public for the first time on Sunday, July 31, 1966.
Donald Gilmore passed away in 1979, and Mrs. Gilmore in 1990, but the legacy
that they began continues to grow.
The Gilmore Car Museum is a founding member of the National Association of
Automotive Museums and today displays nearly 200 cars as well as several
historic structures. It is supported by the Genevieve and Donald S. Gilmore
Foundation, and is governed by a Board of Trustees that includes direct
descendants of the Gilmores and other prominent business and hobby leaders.
The Gilmore Car Museum, considered one to the Top Five automotive museums in
the nation, has experienced rapid growth in recent years and is well on its
way to becoming the nation's premier automotive history destination.
Michael Spezia, Museum Executive Director, said that as the Museum looks
toward the future, "it welcomes these appointments to the Foundation's Board
It is "their vast business experience and the varied talents that each
brings" that he sees as most valuable.
Located in the heart of West Michigan, the Gilmore Car Museum is open from
May 1 through out October 31. To learn more about the Gilmore Car Museum
visit: www.GilmoreCarMuseum.org or call the museum at 269-671-5089.
Jay A. Follis, Director of Marketing
GILMORE CAR MUSEUM
6865 Hickory Road,
Hickory Corners, MI 49060
PH. 269-671-5089 ext. 13
The Gilmore Car Museum is a public, 501(c)3 non-profit educational
institution, dedicated to preserving the history and heritage of the