2007 LA Auto Show: Dodge Intros All-New 2009 Journey Crossover - COMPLETE VIDEO
• Segment-defining crossover delivers versatility, safety, child friendliness, loads of storage, cargo and seating flexibility, as well as all-weather driving capability
• With a bold, sporty design, new fun-to-drive Journey continues Dodge brand’s global expansion
• Innovative features and technologies make every journey more pleasant
LOS ANGELES - November 14, 2007: Dodge designers and engineers have answered the needs of the global passenger car market, as well as the needs of individual drivers, and delivered the all-new Dodge Journey: a global vehicle that meets life’s changing demands by offering a unique combination of versatility and flexibility in a sporty, sexy package. This all-new vehicle takes the practicality of a minivan, the capability of a sport-utility vehicle (SUV) and the overall efficiency of a passenger car and blends all the best attributes of each into an all-new “right-sized” crossover for the Dodge brand.Video will auto-start momentarily
“The all-new Dodge Journey gives our customers the complete package,” said Steven Landry, Executive Vice President – Sales, Marketing and Service, Chrysler LLC. “With its unique combination of purposeful versatility and bold, youthful styling, this new vehicle from Dodge delivers safety, quality and reliability at a great value. Journey also blends innovative technology, entertainment features and useful storage, with a bold Dodge attitude.”
The Dodge Journey is built on the company’s global D-segment platform and is designed to meet the needs of customers ranging from young singles, couples and families with small children to mature families who want the flexibility to do more in terms of seating people or storing gear. Clever, flexible seating and storage combinations include standard five-passenger seating with spacious cargo room and available 5+2 seating for times when additional passengers are along on the journey. Spacious storage bins, hidden in the floor and under the front passenger seat cushion, combined with a variety of fuel-efficient and powerful powertrain options, make Dodge Journey flexible, functional and fun-to-drive.
Safety also is at the top of mind for customers, and the Dodge Journey delivers with standard multi-stage front driver and passenger air bags, front-seat-mounted side air bags, three-row side-curtain air bags, standard four-wheel disc anti-lock brakes (ABS), standard Electronic Stability Program (ESP), standard Electronic Roll Mitigation, an available back-up camera and available all-wheel drive (AWD) in the United States and Canada.
The 2009 Dodge Journey will be available in U.S. dealerships with standard five-passenger seating on the SE model and available 5+2 seating on SXT and R/T models in the first quarter of 2008 and in global volume markets outside North America in both left-hand and right-hand drive, starting in mid-2008.
Bold, Powerful Proportions with Edgy Lines Evoke SUV Capability
Journey is unmistakably Dodge, with powerful, muscular exterior styling cues that evoke the capable look associated with SUVs.
“The Journey combines the bold attitude of Dodge with excellent interior versatility designed to satisfy buyers’ rapidly changing demands,” said Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President – Design. “Journey is the perfect right-sized vehicle for people who want the prestige of an SUV, but need the functionality and utility of a minivan.”
From the front, the signature Dodge crosshair chrome grille with the Dodge Ram’s head stamped in the center hammers home the Dodge brand message that Journey is bold, powerful and capable. Modern-looking quad halogen headlamps provide excellent road lighting. Available fascia-mounted fog lamps strengthen the contemporary look and help boost visibility during bad weather. Body-color fascias provide a monochromatic look that neatly frames the chrome crosshair grille and headlamps.
Dodge Journey boasts available 19-inch wheels and tires, which set it apart from the rest of the mid-size crossover pack. From the side view, Dodge Journey’s horizontal aluminum hood, long daylight opening and low-gloss black appliqués on the B- and C-pillars give the appearance of a long greenhouse. Sculpted wheel arches emphasize Journey’s sporty, athletic appearance. Dodge Journey’s beltline is more angled in front, but less so toward the rear, mimicking the top of the tail lamp shape, which makes it easier for rear-seat passengers to see out the windows — a bonus for pint-sized passengers. An available high-contrast black roof rack with buffed stainless steel roof rails adds capability and completes Journey’s side view.
The Dodge Journey’s rear view elicits as much excitement as the front. The Journey’s single piece, lightweight liftgate includes an integrated spoiler that delivers improved aerodynamics. An LED center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) is mounted in the liftgate header above the glass. Like the integrated spoiler above it, the outer surface of the CHMSL is styled for aerodynamics. Four-piece jeweled red tail lamps span the width of both the liftgate and the body and feature unique curves that give the Journey added style and sportiness. The rear glass on the liftgate’s lower edge follows the curvature of the tail lamps to improve visibility through the rear window. Extra shimmer that adds gleam to the Journey’s performance capability comes from the chrome-tipped dual exhausts, which are standard with the available 3.5-liter V-6 engine in North America.
The Dodge Journey adapts the company’s D-segment architecture that also is used on the 2008 Dodge Avenger. However, Journey’s 113.8-inch (2890 mm) wheelbase is 4.9 in. (124 mm) longer than Avenger’s to accommodate its available 5+2 seating and additional cargo space.
Dodge Journey will be available in Inferno Red Crystal Pearl Coat, Light Sandstone Metallic Clear Coat, Melbourne Green Pearl Coat, Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat, Silver Steel Metallic Clear Coat, Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat and Stone White Clear Coat.
Spacious Interior Room for the Entire Journey
A key target for the Dodge Journey’s design team was delivering a practical, flexible interior, with seating and innovative storage features typically only found in a minivan, and the final product delivers.
Dodge Journey’s two-box exterior design means more room for seating people and storing gear. Journey offers a choice of two seating configurations to balance buyers’ needs for passenger seating and cargo room. Five-passenger seating is standard on all models, while 5+2-passenger seating is available on SXT and R/T models. The Journey’s available third row gives passengers 2 inches (51 mm) more head room than leading North American competitors.
Storing things “under the front seat” takes on an entirely new meaning, thanks to Journey’s available Flip ’N Stow™ in-seat storage. The Journey’s front passenger seat cushion flips forward to reveal a large 10.75 x 8.75-inch (273 x 222 mm) bin under the seat cushion. The bin is large enough to store a purse, umbrella, planner or headphones with the seat down. The seat cushion is hinged, and when flipped forward, provides access to the storage bin.
Dodge Journey’s rear doors open 90 degrees, making it easier for people to get in and out of the second row and gain access to the available third-row seat.
In the second row, the all-new Dodge Journey features theater seating, which gives passengers in the second and third row the ability to see outside the vehicle, which is especially helpful for keeping young passengers entertained on long drives. The second row H-point is 1.6 inches (40 mm) higher than the first row. The available third row sits another 0.6 inches (17 mm) higher than the second row and 2.2 inches (57 mm) higher than the first-row seats.
Located in the floor behind the front-row seats are two standard in-floor storage bins that are designed to hold 12, 12-oz. (330 ml) cans plus ice or other items conveniently out of sight. For added convenience, the bins feature latching lids and removable, washable liners, so they’re a snap to clean.
Additional thoughtful features that make Dodge Journey more flexible for families include a child presenter seat on all models that makes it easy for the driver to attend to a small child seated in the second row. The child presenter seat works by allowing the 60/40 fold-flat second row seat to travel 2 inches (51 mm) forward. With the front passenger seat folded flat option, the driver can easily reach to the back to assist a child in the second row. The second row also slides rearward 2 inches (51 mm) providing extra leg room for taller passengers.
Dodge Journey is the first vehicle in the mid-size crossover segment to offer available integrated child booster seats. These available seats boost a child seated in the second row 4 inches (102 mm) so they’re seated in the adult belted zone. This makes it easier for the child seated in the booster seat to see outside the vehicle. The booster seat is designed for children who are as much as 4 foot 9 inches (1.45 m) tall and between 48 lbs. (22 kg) and 85 lbs. (39 kg).
The second-row seats also move forward and rearward a total of 4.7 inches (120 mm) to give adults more leg room, bring children closer to the front seats and provide more cargo room behind the seats. Folding the second row and the available fold-flat front passenger seat flat creates plenty of room for hauling home lumber needed to assemble a playscape or skis from the slopes.
On five-passenger models, a tri-fold load floor is located behind the second-row seat and provides a hidden storage compartment for added utility. The load floor is reversible and configures into a “grocery bag” position. The primary side of the folding panel is carpeted for durability.
The available third-row seat is easy to operate and get into, thanks to Journey’s stadium Tilt ’N Slide™ second-row seats. With the turn of a single lever on the side of the seat back, the seat cushions easily fold upward and the seat slides forward. Journey’s available 50/50-split-folding third-row seat provides enough room for two passengers on an as needed basis. The seatback reclines 6 degrees to make the ride even more comfortable. A rear in-floor hidden storage bin located behind the available third-row seat is standard on 5+2-passenger vehicles.
In addition to seating and storage features, Dodge Journey’s versatile and functional interior features a two-tone color scheme with high-contrast dark and light colors. A combination of Dark Slate Gray and Medium Slate Gray is available on SE models. A two-tone combination of Dark Slate Gray and Light Graystone or Dark Pebble Beige and Light Pebble Beige is available on SXT and R/T models. A premium soft-skin instrument panel provides a sense of quality and craftsmanship. Chrome accents the upper center bin latch, door handle, shifter bezel and door lock knobs and instrument cluster bezel. Journey R/T models add chrome touches on radio and climate control knobs.
The 2009 model-year Dodge Journey also features three types of seat upholstery: cloth is standard on the SE model, YES Essentials® stain-resistant, odor-resistant, anti-static seat fabric is available on the SE model and standard on the SXT model and leather is standard on the R/T model.
Innovative, Clever Features Deliver Flexibility
Many of Dodge Journey’s innovative and clever features are easily operated and include:
• Available ParkView™ Rear Backup Camera displays the view behind
the vehicle in the navigation display when backing up or parking
• Available Full-color, GPS Map Navigation System with 7-inch (17.8 cm) display provides convenient directions and traffic alerts
• Chill Zone™ cooled beverage storage bin located in the glove box helps keep two cooled 12-oz. (330 ml) cans cool through the air conditioning system or fresh air inlet
• YES Essentials Premium Cloth Seats are stain resistant, odor resistant and anti static for easy cleaning and a long-lasting appearance
• Available Aimable LED Map/Reading Lamps provide focused light without distracting the driver
• Available Removable, Rechargeable LED Flashlight is stored in the rear cargo area for convenient light when needed
• lluminated Cup Holders glow blue green for easy nighttime access
• Available Rear-seat Entertainment System includes an 8-inch (20.3 cm) color monitor that works with the radio DVD player. The display conveniently folds down from the headliner to entertain rear seat passengers
• Available 115-volt, 150-watt Power Inverter on the rear of the console powers small household appliances (available in North America)
• Available SIRIUS™ Digital Satellite Radio offers a variety of subscription-based radio programs and music for enhanced listening enjoyment (available in North America)
• Available UConnect™ provides convenient, hands-free communication with BlueTooth™ cellular phones
• Four 12-volt Power Points for powering small electronics. Two are in the front, one is in the second row and one is in the cargo area
• Available Remote Start starts a secured vehicle with the key fob for added convenience (available in North America)
Seating and Storage
• Standard Five-passenger Seating with Available 5+2 Seating provides flexible seating and cargo capability
• Available Occasional Use, 5+2, 50/50-split Third-row Seat with Recline feature folds flat for added cargo space when not in use
• 90-degree Rear Door Openings make it easier to load and install child safety seats and provides access the available 5+2 seating
• Fold-flat Front Seat with Flip ’N Stow provides storage under the seat cushion and a table-like surface when folded flat for added cargo flexibility. The seat cushion flips forward to reveal a 10.75 x 8.75-inch (273 x 222 mm) bin. The cushion can remain in the forward position to prevent items from sliding onto the floor
• Two Second-row In-floor Storage Bins located in the floor behind the front row seats are designed to hold 12, 12-oz. (330 ml) cans plus ice or other items conveniently out of sight. The bins feature latching lids and removable, washable liners for added convenience
• Stadium Tilt ’N Slide Seat provides easy entry to the third row with one-hand, one-motion operation
• Tri-fold Load Floor located behind the second-row seats provides a hidden storage compartment for added utility. The load floor is reversible and configures into a “grocery bag” position. The primary side of the folding panel is carpeted for durability
• Rear In-floor Storage Bin for 5+2 Passenger Vehicles includes a hidden storage bin behind the third-row seat. For added utility, a door in the bottom of the bin provides access to the tool and jack storage compartment
• Child Presentation Feature allows the driver to attend to a small child in the second-row seat when the vehicle is stationary
• Available Child Booster Seats for children 4 foot 9 inches (1.45 m) tall and between 48 lbs. (22 kg) and 85 lbs. (39 kg), raises the child into the adult belted zone
• ActivityCenter in second row seatback folds forward to provide two cup holders and a bin for storage of small electronics, snacks, crayons or other small items
• Sunglass Bin with Child Observation Mirror features convex glass for a wide field of view that allows the driver and front passenger to conveniently view the rear occupants
• Sliding Center Arm Rest moves forward 3 inches (76 mm) for driver comfort
• Available Heated Front Seats with Leather or Premium Cloth enhance the comfort of the driver and front passenger (segment exclusive in North America)
• Molded Map Pockets with Bottle Holders in all four doors enhance storage and convenience
Powertrains Provide Efficiency, Flexibility, Fun-to-drive Factor
The front-wheel-drive Dodge Journey features a four-wheel independent front suspension with MacPherson struts and a multi-link rear suspension. Front and rear suspension crossmembers are isolated to the body to create a quiet ride, with less road noise, vibration and harshness. AWD is available on Dodge Journey models equipped with the 3.5-liter V-6 engine sold in the United States and Canada. Four-wheel disc brakes are standard.
Dodge Journey features several different engine/transaxle combinations that meet the needs of the diverse mid-size crossover buyer. These include a fuel-efficient 2.4-liter four-cylinder World Engine, a Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV) 2.7-liter V-6 engine that can run on E-85 and an available 3.5-liter V-6 engine coupled with a six-speed automatic transaxle with Auto Stick.
Dodge Journey’s standard 2.4-liter World Engine provides an estimated fuel economy of 19 miles per gallon (mpg) in the city and 25 mpg on the highway, as well as solid, quiet performance. Journey’s 2.4-liter World Engine is coupled with a standard four-speed automatic transaxle. It features dual variable valve timing, intake manifold flow control valves, acoustic cylinder head covers, dual counter-rotating balance shafts and an acoustic oil pan. Mated to a four-speed automatic transaxle, this engine produces 173 horsepower (129 kW) and 166 lb.-ft. (225 N•m) of torque.
Dodge Journey also features an available 2.7-liter V-6 engine, coupled with a four-speed automatic transaxle that is offered as an FFV in North America. The flex-fuel engine produces 186 horsepower (138 kW) and 191 lb.-ft. (259 N•m) of torque and delivers an estimated 17 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. The Journey’s 2.7-liter engine with flexible fuel capability has the ability to operate effectively on any blend of gasoline and fuel-grade ethanol up to E-85.
Dodge Journey R/T and R/T AWD vehicles feature a standard 3.5-liter V-6 engine that produces 235 horsepower (175 kW) and 232 lb.-ft. (315 N•m) of torque coupled with a six-speed automatic transaxle that comes standard with Auto Stick and a sport-tuned suspension. This engine delivers an estimated 16 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. This 3.5-liter V-6 engine also is available on SXT models. The combination of the 3.5-liter V-6 engine coupled with the six-speed automatic transaxle delivers excellent performance and fuel efficiency, as well as quiet operation.
Six-speed Transaxle Provides Quick Acceleration, Quiet Ride
The 2009 Dodge Journey R/T and R/T all-wheel-drive models available in the United States and Canada feature a standard six-speed automatic transaxle, which provides quicker standing-start acceleration than a four- or five-speed transaxle because of a numerically higher first-gear ratio. A more robust differential with increased torque capacity enhances launch performance by requiring less torque management, electronically limiting the torque that is available during the initial stages of standing-start acceleration. Smaller steps between ratios also make for a smoother, quieter ride, as the engine speed doesn’t change as much with each shift. In addition, more ratio choices, more appropriate ratios for quicker acceleration and a lower overall top gear ratio provide a quiet ride and improved fuel economy at highway speeds.
AWD Keeps All Four Wheels Planted
Dodge Journey SXT and R/T models equipped with a 3.5-liter V-6 engine also offer all-wheel-drive capability. Journey’s all-wheel-drive system works on demand, driving only the front wheels until power to the rear wheels is needed. AWD also is used on dry pavement between speeds of 25 and 65 mph (40-105 km/h) to enhance handling during performance driving. This system provides added traction on snow, ice and other low-traction surfaces without having to be switched on and off.
Engineered to a High Safety Standard
From its high-strength structure to its active safety systems, Dodge Journey is designed and engineered to keep its occupants safe and secure. Standard safety equipment includes:
• Low-risk Deployment Air Bags are included for smaller and out-of-position occupants
• Front Seat-mounted Side Air Bags deploy for enhanced thorax protection during a side impact
• Supplemental Side-curtain Air Bags with Extended Up Time deploy down to provide all three rows vehicle occupant head protection during side impact
• Structural Driver and Front Passenger Knee Bolsters control occupant kinematics and reduce leg loads
• Available Child Booster Seats for children 4 foot 9 inches (1.45 m) tall and between 48 lbs. (22 kg) and 85 lbs. (39kg) raise the child into the adult belted zone
• Anti-lock brakes (ABS) modulate the brakes for the driver to provide steering control while braking
• Electronic Stability Program (ESP) applies selective braking or throttle reduction to control oversteer and understeer
• Brake Assist ensures maximum braking action during panic stops
• Traction Control reduces the throttle and/or applies selective braking to optimize traction during acceleration
• Electronic Roll Mitigation determines when the vehicle is in a potential roll over condition and applies appropriate braking force to reduce the likelihood that such an event will occur
• Rollover Sensing deploys seat-mounted side air bags, side-curtain air bags and seat-belt pretensioners
• Trailer Sway Control helps maintain vehicle and trailer system stability by applying selective braking
• Event Data Recorder records the nature of a malfunction or impact event for retrieval using a service diagnostic tool
• Available ParkView™ Rear Backup Camera displays the view behind the vehicle in the navigation display when backing up or parking
• Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) alerts drivers to low tire pressure(s) to facilitate safe handling
• Brake-park Interlock prevents automatic transaxle from being shifted out of Park or Neutral without first applying brakes
• Side Guard Door Beams in front and rear doors provide occupant protection in the event of a side impact
Dodge Journey Production
2009 model year Dodge Journey production will begin in the first quarter of 2008 at the Toluca (Mexico) Assembly plant in Toluca, Mexico. It will be built alongside the Chrysler PT Cruiser.