The new smart fortwo cdi - The world's most economical production car with the lowest CO2 emissions
With fuel consumption of just 3.3 litres per 100 kilometres (NEDC) and emissions of 88 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometre the new smart fortwo cdi is the most economical production car worldwide. A full tank of fuel costs around €38.00* (assuming a litre price of €1.15) and 33 litres of fuel will take the 33 kW/45 bhp two-door car approximately 1,000 kilometres – for example theoretically from central Berlin to the outskirts of Paris without refuelling. With an annual mileage of 15,000 kilometres drivers of a new smart fortwo cdi would only have to refuel 15 times a year. In other words: the smart fortwo cdi is the right small car at the right time.
The smart engineers have improved the successful cdi engine from the predecessor model and equipped it for the future. The power and torque have each increased by ten percent, whilst the fuel consumption has decreased by around 13 percent. In figures this means power of 33 kW/45 bhp and maximum torque of 110 metres that is delivered between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm. The new smart fortwo cdi thus offers a combination of agility, economy and environmental compatibility that is unique in this class and that adds up to all-round driving fun.
This is thanks to the world's smallest direct-injection diesel engine – a masterpiece of engine development – that boasts technology previously only found in larger capacity engines, despite its extremely compact dimensions. For example the latest generation common-rail direct injection which builds up high injection pressure of up to 1,600 bar (previously: 1,350 bar) even at low revs, and injects the fuel into the combustion chambers with newly developed six-hole injectors, enabling an even more efficient combustion process.
A turbo-charger, charge-air cooling, electrically controlled and cooled exhaust gas recirculation, hydraulic compensation of valve clearance and a state-of-the-art light alloy construction are further features that identify the cdi engine as a high-tech package.
The three-cylinder engine has also adopted two-phase fuel injection from the CDI engines of its sister brand Mercedes-Benz. A few milliseconds before the main injection a small quantity of diesel is injected into the combustion chambers where it ignites and preheats the cylinders. This results in a noticeably quieter combustion noise level than an engine without this pilot injection. The electronic "brain" of the cdi engine – a high-performance micro-computer that controls the whole engine-transmission system – calculates how much fuel is needed and the interval at which pilot injection and main injection take place.
The quick response of the cdi engine is first and foremost thanks to the compact yet extremely effective turbocharger that is housed in the exhaust manifold. Its compressor wheel has a diameter of just 31 millimetres, yet it rotates at up to 290,000 rpm and builds up maximum charge pressure of approximately 1,150 millibars. This gives the three-cylinder engine more air to "breathe" and enables it to develop impressive torque: 85 metres are available even from 1,500 rpm – more than three quarters of the maximum torque.
This torque curve plays an important part in the fun behind the wheel that drivers experience with every kilometre driven in a smart fortwo cdi. The smart fortwo cdi accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 19.8 seconds and reaches a top speed of 135 km/h.
As before, the engines of the smart fortwo are fitted transversally in space-saving mode in front of the rear axle and they are inclined at an angle of 45 degrees towards the rear. The consistent use of lightweight materials means that the diesel engine weighs in at just 86 kilograms. The crankcase features a state-of-the-art diecast aluminium bedplate design and the cylinder head and cylinder head cover are likewise made of aluminium.
Exhaust gas recirculation, catalytic converter and particle filter as standard
The three-cylinder diesel engine controls emissions in two stages. The high-tech common-rail injection and the extremely efficient combustion process inside the engine provide for a low level of untreated emissions. Depending on the driving situation and the engine load, up to 60 percent of the previously cooled exhaust gas is returned to the combustion chambers where it is combusted once again thus greatly reducing nitrogen oxide emissions. The exhaust gas recirculation works with an electropneumatic actuator which enables it to react quickly to changes. An oxidation catalytic converter and an open diesel particle filter are responsible for the aftertreatment of the exhaust gases. These are housed together with the exhaust silencer in a stainless steel case.
Automated manual transmission with kick-down function
The three-cylinder diesel engine works with a newly developed automated manual five-speed transmission which the driver operates by briefly tapping the shift lever on the centre console. When briefly pushed forwards the transmission shifts to the next highest gear. Gently pulling the shift lever backwards is sufficient to shift down. Shift paddles on the steering wheel are optionally available and come as standard in the pulse model line. An automatic transmission mode is also available for all equipment variants. This is a standard feature for the passion model.
- Storage compartment on passenger side, next to steering wheel and in the doors
- Coin holder (smart fortwo coupé)
- Mirror in driver's sun visor
- Storage compartment in tailgate
- Crash-absorbing elements at front and rear
- Crash sensor to activate hazard warning lights
- Full-size driver and passenger airbag
- Safety seats with integral seat belts
- Belt tensioner and belt-force limiter
- Drive lock, automatic door locking when the vehicle is in motion
- ESP® - ABS with electronic brake-force distribution
- Hydraulic brake assist
- Panoramic roof made from polycarbonate, with sun blind (optional for pure, standard for the pulse and passion)
- Leather seats including seat heating (optional for pulse and passion)
- Glove compartment, lockable
- Luggage compartment cover including net (standard for passion)
- Smoker's kit
- 3-spoke leather steering wheel with steering wheel gearshift (incl. leather gear knob) (standard for pulse, option for passion)
- Comfort/light package (electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors, rain/light sensor, driveway illumination)
- softouch five speed transmission with automatic gear programme (optional for pure and pulse, standard for passion)
- Electric power steering
- Air conditioning with automatic temperature control incl. dust and pollen filter (optional for pure and pulse, standard for passion)
- Electric windows with comfort function (optional for pure)
- Electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors
- Heated seats
- Fog lights (optional for pure and passion, standard for pulse)
- Anti-theft alarm system
- Audio package: smart radio 9 (RDS radio CD, 2 loudspeakers), smart sound system (two tweeters, two mid-range speakers, subwoofer, smart MP3 interface)
- Provision for radio installation (incl. rod aerial and 2 loudspeakers)
- smart radio 9 (RDS radio CD, two loudspeakers)
- smart radio 10 (RDS radio with CD changer for 6 CDs, MP3 compatible, incl. two loudspeakers) - smart sound system - Portable smart navigation system
- Head/thorax side airbags
- Breakdown kit
- ISOFIX child seat fastener incl. manual airbag deactivation
- Nine-spoke 15 inch alloy wheels with 155/65 R 15 tyres at front, 175/60 R 15 tyres at rear (optional for pure and passion)
- Dashboard instruments (cockpit clock, rev counter)