TWO NEW RANGE ROVER MODELS DEBUT AT THE NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW
2006 Range Rover Sport
High performance powertrains featured prominently on each model
DETROIT, Jan. 10, 2005 – Land Rover today enhances its offering of premium SUVs with the introduction of two new Range Rover models. The Range Rover for 2006 becomes the most powerful Land Rover ever made, while the Range Rover Sport debuts as the brand’s first performance-based SUV.
Each vehicle is launched with two new engine options: supercharged or normally aspirated.
The supercharged 400bhp 4.2-liter V8 engine found in the Range Rover for 2006 offers 35 percent more power than the outgoing V8 and over 25 percent more torque, contributing to a more refined vehicle. The normally aspirated 4.4-liter V8 engine produces 305bhp and is also more powerful than the outgoing V8.
Range Rover Sport, meanwhile, is powered by a 390bhp, 4.2-liter supercharged V8 engine producing a top speed of 140mph. A normally aspirated 4.4-liter, 300bhp V8 engine is also available.
"We see the addition of these two models as a natural progression for the Range Rover nameplate," said Matthew Taylor, managing director, Land Rover. "Performance blended with a premium package, but grounded in Land Rover heritage. There is now a Range Rover to satisfy the widest range of consumers."
The Range Rover for 2006 maintains its role as the flagship for the brand, emphasizing grace, class and understated luxury. While the model retains its critically acclaimed styling, subtle changes enhance its look, including new front grille and bumper, power vents, lamps, and wheels. New 19-inch alloy wheels are also offered.
The supercharged derivative is distinguished by additional styling modifications, including a diamond mesh front grille and power vents, unique 20-inch alloy wheels, and special black-on-silver badges.
Additional features on the Range Rover for 2006 include:
* Dynamics: Sharper steering, crisper braking performance and improved air suspension.
* Refinement: A quieter interior and additional color combinations.
* Technology: Adaptive headlights, tire-pressure monitoring, touch-screen control for audio, phone and off-road driving information.
* Safety: A rear-view camera that projects directly to the front-fascia screen.
* Entertainment: Available rear seat entertainment package featuring a six-disc DVD changer, twin screens and headphone pods, all fully integrated with the vehicle’s sound system.
Designed to complement the flagship Range Rover, Range Rover Sport delivers inspiring and refined performance on all surfaces. As a ‘sports tourer,’ it is optimized for fast, comfortable long-distance driving.
Excellent on-road behavior is delivered through Land Rover’s new Dynamic Response suspension system and performance-tuned chassis. The innovative system, making its debut on Range Rover Sport, senses cornering forces and acts to optimize body control and handling. It also decouples off-road to allow greater wheel articulation during tough all-terrain driving.
Design cues borrowed from the iconic flagship model—such as a floating roof—help ensure a strong family resemblance. However, Range Rover Sport delivers its own interpretation on the theme with its muscular design, powerful stance and aggressive lines, making it the most aerodynamic Land Rover ever built.
Additional features on Range Rover Sport include:
* Driver-focused interior: A cockpit with a high and sweeping center console, so the driver reaches across to the controls rather than down to them.
* Breadth of capability: Terrain Response, low range gearing, and four-corner air suspension ensure excellence on a variety of surfaces.
* Technology: Adaptive cruise control (its first Land Rover application), bi-xenon adaptive front lighting, and on-road / off-road satellite navigation.
* Safety: Electronic Traction Control, Emergency Brake Assist and Dynamic Stability Control. On the supercharged version, four-piston Brembo front brakes augment superb braking ability.
* Entertainment: Audio systems by harman/kardon and an available twin-screen DVD rear-seat entertainment system, with high-resolution screens enclosed in the front seat head rests.
"Since its launch three years ago, the third-generation Range Rover has gone on to be the most successful Range Rover in the brand’s history," said Mike O’Driscoll, president, Aston Martin Jaguar Land Rover. "Enhancing this flagship model for 2006 ensures that the world’s best luxury SUV gets even better, while the addition of Range Rover Sport allows customers access to the performance spirit of our brand."