Land Rover Discovery Series II TReK Makes Los Angeles Auto Show
Fresh From Competition, Discovery Series II TReK Adds Some
'Molten Orange' Toughness to The Land Rover Display
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 5 Most vehicles shown during auto shows
are freshly painted, have no miles on the odometer and are free from the dents
and dings of real-world use. Not so the Land Rover Discovery Series II TReK
competition vehicle that makes its public debut at the 2001 Greater Los
Angeles Auto Show. The Molten Orange-color Discovery Series II TReK makes its
first-ever auto show appearance just six weeks after being put to the test in
Land Rover TReK 2000, a rough and rugged four-wheel drive competition held in
last November at the Greenbrier, a luxury resort located in W.Va. The
Greenbrier is also home to one of only two Land Rover driving schools based in
North America. Land Rover TReK is an annual competition that pits Land Rover
retail personnel in a series of daylong off-road driving decathlons. The TReK
competition puts Land Rover retail personnel and Land Rover vehicles to the
test.The Discovery Series II TReK, which will be on display for the duration of
the 2001 Greater Los Angeles Auto Show, features the scars of Land Rover TReK
2000 and is one of only 15 such vehicles built for use used during the TReK
event. Every Discovery Series II TReK, including the one shown in Los
Angeles, was produced in Solihull, England by Land Rover Special Vehicles.
All feature stock powertrains and suspension components that are similar to
those built into every Land Rover Discovery Series II. Many components,
including their strong, 4.0-liter V8 engines, permanent four-wheel drive
systems, four-wheel electronic traction control and long-travel suspensions
equipped with Land Rover's Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) and Self-
Leveling Rear Suspension (SLS) systems, were essentially unmodified for
The Discovery Series II TReK models are not completely stock, however.
They were built with several additional components for the TReK 2000 event.
The specification list includes special interior trim; a wraparound front
brush bar; a distinct front bumper and grille; a front-mounted winch; four (4)
Hella driving lamps and two (2) rear-mounted work lights. Also present are a
rear-mounted ladder; and a full-length steel roof rack with a steel mesh
platform; Rock Sliders for sill protection; a Hi Lift Jack mounted on the rear
spare tire; upgraded front coil springs; rear lamp guards; rubber floor mats;
and a cargo mat. The Discovery Series II TReK wears a striking Molten Orange
and Black paint scheme and is shod with 245/75R-16 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain
Land Rover North America will use the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show to
begin gauging public interest in a limited-production version of the Discovery
Series II TReK. While details and pricing of such a model have not yet been
finalized, Land Rover has determined that a consumer-directed Discovery Series
II TReK would feature many of the items and options that were featured on the
competition vehicle. The target on-sale date for the Land Rover Discovery
Series II TReK is summer 2001.
2000 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SERIES II TReK:
COMPETITION VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
* 2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II.
* Java Black exterior paint.
* Smokestone interior.
* 2000 Discovery Series II SE base equipment (without dual
* Performance Package with Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE).
* Self-Leveling Rear Suspension (SLS).
ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT FOR TREK 2000 COMPETITION:
* Seats featuring "Spacer"-style technical fabric on center
panels and black vinyl on outboard seat panels.
* Aluminum-look trim for door panels, glovebox trim and center
* Safety Devices full-length steel roof rack with full steel mesh
* Land Rover rear ladder.
* Land Rover wrap-around front brush bar.
* Front-mounted Warn 9000i winch.
* Land Rover upgraded front coil springs.
* Land Rover Gulf States grille.
* Land Rover "Saudi" front bumper.
* Land Rover rear lamp guards.
* Safari Gard Rock Sliders.
* Safari Gard Hi-Lift jack mounted on rear spare tire.
* Four (4) Hella FF100 driving lamps, roof rack mounted.
* Two (2) Land Rover work lights, rear mounted.
* Land Rover floor mat set.
* Land Rover rear cargo mat.
* Molten Orange paint and TReK 2000 decal treatment.
* 16-inch alloy wheels.
* 245/75R-16 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires.